W6 Double Activation Report

Hello All,

Activated Modjeska Peak W6/CT-026 and Trabuco Peak W6/CT-031 May 23, 2010.
Both are adjacent Peaks of the larger Santiago Peak which i activated last weekend. Access is quite easy since trailheads may be gained along Main Divide Road.(Same Road use to get to Santiago peak) Both peaks you park along the clearings at the trailheads and have a .5 mile hike. Ran end fed 100ft. wire with 100w. Was only about 15 ft high on first summit due to proximity of trees to peak…Trabuco was much higher around 40ft or so with alot of tree options on summit. Very nice relaxing double activation. 13 QSO’s total from the peaks cause restrained on time. But plan to go back soon and spend more time. Was nice to work and meet Andrew K1YMI for the first time and the dependable Mike VA6FUN who always seems to be on Freq. after one call. Had a very interesting contact cross-mode with Stu-KI6J. His normal rig is dead for the moment so was only to contact me with his QRP ATSB rig in CW. So that was kinda fun to talk and hear morse code back…hihi. Thanks Stu for sending at a gentle speed, and thanks to all I worked on the hill.

John
KI6NN

In reply to KI6NN:
Hello John,
Heard you calling CQ at about 2250 last evening, but you were dropping out with deep QSB. Hopefully we’ll QSO some day. Location here SW England.
73 Jeff G4ELZ

In reply to G4ELZ:
Well Jeff thats a relief i made it off the continent. Its a shame i didn’t realize i had the rigs 40db attentuation in line on the first peak :(… Might have heard you. Can’t wait to try next time.

John
KI6NN