W2/GA (Adirondack) SOTA Party 2018?

Let me know if you head back up there Dennis!

BTW, read the Algonquin summit page if you’re headed up because summit restrictions are in effect that impact ability to erect an antenna on the summit area. I actually used a pole secured to my backpack (on my back). But it IS an amazing, top-of-the-world-experience summit so I’m glad they are diligently preserving it.

Looking southeast from summit: (where Kevin is going is far left on the horizon, about 10km due east)

73, Barry N1EU

Thanks Barry,
I’ll be sure to give careful thought as to how to deploy an antenna in restricted areas. I like the photo, then again you always have good photos of the Adirondacks and Catskills. Ah, so many good memories from McIntyre. I’ve been there several times when there wasn’t a soul but me on the hill besides a varmint or two. HI.
Okay OM, I’ll be sure to let you know when I head back.

Take care ol’ pal and BCNU!

Dennis

1 Like

KK1W and I could probably be persuaded to join in next year.

Nick K1NZ (ex K1MAZ)

To everyone who’s replied. I’m keeping a list of all interested parties and make sure to get everyone notified when I’m working on more concrete plans.

People who have expressed even a little interest:
N2GBR
NK8Q
N1EU
WA2USA
N3ICE
AC2KL
KD2FLX
N1NZ
KK1W
N3TWM

If I missed anyone please let me know!

Obviously Catskill operators would be welcome to join the fun too, but the more people we can cram in the high peaks region the more fun I think we could have. I can foresee a SOTA campout and/or a face to face gathering as part of this.

Evan, thanks for organizing an event. You mentioned in your original post you’d email W1/W2/W3 activators. Don’t leave out the folks from Canada. The VE2 activators have a shorter drive to the Adirondacks than the W3 people.

Count me in
Doug W1DMH

I worked at the scout massawepie for a couple of summer’s back in 2002/2003. LOVE the Adirondacks. Hope I get back there soon. It’s a beautiful place that seems a bit forgotten by tourists, which is a good thing.

I’ll probably not be able to join you in person, but given the intentions you have of putting several summits -including various 10 pointers- out on the air, if my tasks and duties let me do it, I’ll be pleased to be QRV stalking for a good chase of all and each of you.

Guru

I put out an email today to the top 20 operators from W1, W2, W3, and VE2, as well as posted to a few facebook groups. I may email VE3 operators soon as well.

I am receiving overwhelming response already.

The updated list of interested parties:
N2GBR
NK8Q
N1EU
WA2USA
N3ICE
AC2KL
KD2FLX
N1NZ
KK1W
N3TWM
AC3B
W1DMH
NG1P
WI2W
KC2FNE

Definitely add me to the list. I was considering a trip over there this summer for a couple of long day hikes/activations. Fall would be even better.

Joe

Response has been overwhelming. This might rival the 7 call area gatherings in numbers, and probably beat them out in density! I’m so happy people are getting on board.

Updated Interested Parties:
N2GBR
NK8Q
N1EU
WA2USA
N3ICE
AC2KL
KD2FLX
N1NZ
KK1W
N3TWM
AC3B
W1DMH
NG1P
WI2W
KC2FNE
N0MAP
KD2ALQ
AC1Z
KC1APK
VA2IEI
N2TOM
VE2DDZ
VA2VL/VE2JFM
KG6CIH
K2QY
NS1TA
KD2JKX

Due to the complexity of organizing this many people and the annoyance of using standard email for communication going forward, a subgroup has been created in the NASOTA io group for this specific event. Anyone interested in discussion should head over there and sign up. Barry, N1EU can help if you have any questions regarding that.

Until everyone gets onboard with the nasota io group, I will crosspost this here:

After looking over the calendar and with all the recommendations I have received, the most feasible date for the ADK SOTA Spree will be the weekend of September 29th and 30th. This is late enough in the year to decrease the bugs and afternoon thunderstorm danger, early enough to limit early snowstorm potential, etc.

It is the weekend of CQ WW RTTY and the TX QSO party, I’m not sure how far into the CW realm the RTTY gusy get during those weekends but if everyone brings an HT with a decent antenna and a WARC band antenna just in case, we should be ok. If you are a CW operator and really want to use the contest bands just slide up into the SSB portion of the band (which is perfectly legal as I recall).

If I get serious pushback on these dates we can consider something different but for now this is what I’m targeting. The next three weekends are some the biggest state QSO parties of the year (CA then PA then NY). The prior weekend is the UK/IE DX contest and ME QSO party, and it sounds like most wouldn’t want to go any earlier than that in the year.

Does anybody know whether 20M daytime activity during CQ WW RTTY typically extends down to the cw portion of the band? If so, I think we should consider the previous or following weekend.

73, Barry N1EU

Hello Evan,
You might also consider the weekend of September 8-9 as proposed by Guy-N7UN for the Fall SOTA Activity Weekend. It’s also the weekend for the ARRL VHF Contest - you should have no trouble activating with a HT during that event.
Etienne-K7ATN

Etienne,

I just included that weekend as a possibility in the NASOTA discussion, if it is indeed the Fall SOTA weekend then it would be a logical pick as well.

It appears that after some discussion, we will be having this activity during the NA SOTA activity weekend and the ARRL VHF contest on September 8-9th.

We have started an ADK2018 discussion group on groups.io if anybody is interested. In order to join, you must first be a member of NASOTA group. If you’re not an NASOTA member, you can request membership (be sure to include a callsign). After joining NASOTA, just drop me a private line to add you to ADK2018.

73, Barry N1EU

1 Like

Did not know the NASOTA group existed! Just applied for membership.

73, Joe

Put me on the list of interested…Stuart, KB1HQS

Add me too!