W1/HH-002 for the little guns

Folks,

If you have been trying for a US summit this might be your chance. There is the very real possibility that on Sunday’s activation Dave and I will be running 100w to a 3 element portable yagi from the viewing castle on W1/HH-002. I know others have done it in Europe, but this would be our first time trying out the Super Antennas YP-3 HF beam on an activation.

Original plans were for another summit, but with the rainy forecast we thought the summit top shelter on W1/HH-002 might be nice & free of pesky hikers…a perfect opportunity to try out the beam.

W1/HH-002 should have a nice shot to Europe, and the castle is at least 30 feet tall so our 20 foot mast would give us a height of 50 feet or so…

So if you were looking for that big signal from W1, this might be your moment…

73 to all and hope to work you on Sunday!
Tom, N2YTF

In reply to N2YTF:

Tom,

Is there a chance that you will work CW?

73 Heinz

In reply to OE5EEP

Most likely if we work CW it will be Dave working by hand. I expect we will work some CW.

If we get on CW I will post the frequency on our APRS beacon, N2YTF-3

Tom

In reply to N2YTF:

That does look like a very nice operating position & should give an excellent take off on 20m.

I hope to be around later & will watch the spots for your progress & if I hear you I will give you a call.

Best of luck with the activation.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to N2YTF:

Hi Tom…will be tracking you and Dave also…please don’t forget to turn your beam towards Alberta once in awhile! Have “FUN” today and good luck!

Mike VA6FUN

In reply to G0VOF:
change of plans…no beam today…just normal antennas

In reply to N2YTF:

Any idea of frequency I’ll take a listen anyway?

14.285 is a popular SOTA frequency on 20m SSB over here, possibly 14.032 on CW.

I can hear many strong European stations but not much from across the pond at the moment.

Good luck.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Mark…In the past I’ve worked W2VV on 14.342.5Mhz SSB which is the HF Pack freq…but he was always QRP. 14.285 seems a bit crowded here in AB land at this time (15:58UTC). Still no post on their aprs site.

Mike VA6FUN

In reply to VA6FUN:

Thanks Mike,

I have been tuning through 20m & have not heard any stations from your side of the Atlantic, not even around 14.200 where some of the “Big Guns” hang around. It doesn’t look promising for transatlantic SOTA today but I will keep listening :slight_smile:

I too have seen no update on APRS.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Mark…there’s a Florida QSO Party happening over on this side of the pond…got a station using 14.284.5Mhz so lots of splatter into .285. Band conditions not so great this weekend! The aprs site should let us know whats happening…slow day here as its snowing…good day to be a shack sloth and play Marconi!

Mike VA6FUN

In reply to VA6FUN:

Definite movement on APRS, conditions a little better on 20m.

Still listening,

G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Still setting up after more than an hour! They must be assembling a radio kit :wink:

73 Heinz

In reply to OE5EEP:

Heinz…radio kit built :slight_smile: On 40M now!

Hey, point that thing over here!
Stu

In reply to KI6J:

Hi Stu…got a strong station on 14.343 now…just got another station to QSY from 14.344…hope they are still on that freq…lost Dave in QRM from .343Mhz! Good luck!

Mike VA6FUN

In reply to VA6FUN:

I heard John GW4BVE & Phil G4OBK working Dave, but the noise level here is too high for me to copy anything from across the pond.

Well worth a try though if you have a decent 20m antenna & low noise level, I can definitely tell when there is someone talking.

In another couple of years this sort of QSO will be easy :wink:

73 for now,

& good luck with the activation :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:
A resonant vertical from a summit here and chances are a QSO would be possible, Same here I can others working W1 but thats it … maybe when they try CW i might hear something? Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

Quite possible Sean, certainly SSB isn’t working for me.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to M0GIA:

Readable on CW here Sean, 14.059MHz

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:
I can hear him sometimes but not solid enough to try and work him, I heard Tom (M1EYP) make it … next time maybe? Sean M0GIA