VK8 Activation

Maybe not a good idea to activate on 21.150 its the international cw beacon frequency.
de vk5cz …

Hi Ian,

I’ve been monitoring 21.150 & 21.155 but haven’t heard a peep from Greg as of yet. I just tried ringing Greg but got his message bank, so maybe he is still on his way there. Greg did phone me the other day and advised that he may have a few other guys with him during the activation.

Cheers,

Paul,
VK5PAS

Typed too soon. He is there now. But no copy here. He is being heard in VK3.

Good luck everyone.

Cheers,

Paul,
VK5PAS

In reply to VK5CZ:
Now on 21.155 Tony

Hi Tony,

Absolutely no copy here in the Adel Hills. My beam is pointing straight at him but nothing. Can hear most of the chasers.

Cheers,

Paul,
VK5PAS.

In reply to VK5PAS:
G Day Paul no copy here either only the od vk2 and vk6mb .

Oh well,

I hope he goes to 20m because the VK8’s boom in to here on 20m.

Have a great weekend Ian. Off to Clipsal tomorrow.

C U next weekend.

Paul
VK5PAS

In reply to VK5CZ:
Could hear a weak vk2dag. Beaming direct no copy to VK2 so expect back scatteror juts going over the top. Greg is running 10 watts. Is it worth for you to try 40m?

In reply to VK3CAT:
14.250 in 10min

Thanks Tony,

Just worked Greg and he was a very good signal here on 20m. Amazing what a difference a band can make with a signal.

Cheers,

Paul,
VK5PAS

In reply to VK5PAS:
Always a pleasure Paul. Still good here on 20 but was better on 15.
Enjoy the races tomorrow. Should have some air-show traffic overhead for us tomorrow.
Have a great night and day tomorrow, Tony

Nice to work a new born association. So new it’s not in the database yet!

And he just worked VK8NSB in Darwin. Who is a BIG IOTA chaser. So maybe we can pester him over to the dark side, and activate a few Darwin summits.

Matt.

In reply to VK2DAG:
Matt,
Greg was 5x7 up to s9 here on 20m. I just got a contact before he closed down.
I was talking with Steve 2NSS and Matt 1MA at the club AGM on Wednesday and suggested they get Stuie interested in SOTA. Have to work on him…
There are only 19 summits up near Darwin and only 3 are 2 points, the rest are 1 point. But never mind, that makes them all the more desirable as they will be rare!
By way of comparison, in the Central region (AL prefix) there are 193 summits and only 2 of them are 1 point, the rest are 2 and up, with 19 x 10point summits. All rather remote though. :slight_smile:

Andrew vk1da/2uh

In reply to VK1DA:
Andrew, we may find that getting access to many central Australian (VK5 & 8) summits will be quite a challenge,
BTW, you were weak but quite readable the other might on 20 cw. Quite a pile up.
Tony

In reply to VK3CAT:
Tony,
you are right about the vk8 summits - many are on land owned by indigenous people who will need to give permission for access etc. Local knowledge will be a valuable commodity. Croc Dundee would be handy. Also I think there will be some that never get activated due to the distance from main population centres and the terrain. A day trip from a capital city for a day is no comparison to what some of those will require.

However it gives a new perspective to SOTA in VK and will promote more use of the higher frequency bands. Which is always a good thing.

Thanks for the report from 20m cw. I knew I would not have time to do a stint on 40m if conditions were good on 20m. Worked 34 contacts, mostly CW. My paddle continued to give trouble. I may have to take a hand key as a backup. zounds…
Andrew

In reply to VK1DA:

There are only 19 summits up near Darwin and only 3 are 2 points, the rest are 1 point.

At the moment the database is saying the 2-pointers get a summer bonus. Having experienced a bit of the summer climate in parts of Australia, I can see a logic there (though I guess it might just be a hiccup waiting to be fixed?)…

Either way, good to see VK8 getting activations so quickly. :slight_smile:

73, Rick M0LEP

Hello all,
It would really help a lot if you alerted 24hrs before activation given the time differences. I need to know when to get up 8)
Best wishes
Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

I need to know when to get up 8)

…or when not to go to sleep! :wink:

(Though, in this particular case, actual alerts weren’t possible 'cos SOTAwatch didn’t know about the summits…)

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:

VK and elsewhere generic request to activators.

Night night

Mike G6TUH

In reply to M0LEP:
I am unsure why there is a summer bonus anywhere in vk8. That may need correction.
Thanks for noticing it.
Andrew
vk1da