VK3WAM 4 day New Year's trip report

Hi all,

I’ve put up the thesis for those interested at

Hope you enjoy. It was hard, but I enjoyed the trip and won’t forget the views.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM

In reply to VK3WAM:

Excellent report, Wayne.

We take water so much for granted over here, it`s not until you read a report like yours, that it brings it back into perspective!

Shame about the high SWR on the colinear, especially when you only have a few Watts to play with in the first place. Hopefully, once this issue is resolved, you’ll see what this fine antenna design can produce in the way of contacts.

73 HNY
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
“We take water so much for granted over [here]”

That’s because we seem to be up to our knees in it at the moment. Raining again in Macclesfield. No SOTA again :frowning:

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
“We take water so much for granted over [here]”

That’s because we seem to be up to our knees in it at the moment.
Raining again in Macclesfield. No SOTA again :frowning:

Only up to your knees, Richard! Luxury :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Its summer time so the amount of water is reduced. While the Victorian Alps is damper than much of the rest of Australia, it is still very dry by English standards. When I was last out in the English country, I could not get over how green everything was.

My BNC connectors have arrived, so over the next week, I’ll complete the tuning stub and match this antenna up. As I mentioned in the report, it is already doing well. It is a bit of a challenge to match 144.1 (SSB calling freq) and 146.5 (FM calling freq) I don’t think I’ll get anyone apart from people watching Sotawatch to try 145.5, although it can be used for FM simplex under the VK band plan (well any mode). By using the BNC connector for the stub, I can actually have two stubs: one better for 144.1 and another better for 146.5 and I can quickly swap them in and out.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM