VK/ZL/JA S2S from NA this weekend

I’m heading out to W6/SD-046 Saturday afternoon local time with a few others and plan to run 100w with the Half Square antenna on 20m initially, then 40m later. Hoping to nab some DX, particularly S2S. VK, ZL, and JA are usually easy pickings on 20m that time in the evening, so hopefully we’ll be able to pick up some of you across the Pacific.

We will likely be operating 27-Oct-2019 from around 0100z or 0200z for 3 or 4 hours, then again in the morning, around 1400z for a few hours (EU?).

Hope some of you will chase us. Watch for spots!

Adam
K6ARK

3 Likes

Hi Adam,
You don’t say if you will operate SSB or CW. If you intend to activate on SSB don’t forget it’s the CQWW DX SSB contest this weekend! You probably wont find a free frequency and if you do you’ll lose it within minutes to a contest station. If you can take 17m as well, that should be a lot less busy as it’s a non-contest band.

If you’re activating using CW, don’t worry - you should be fine most of the time.

73 Ed.

Hope you make a video to post on your YouTube channel. I would like to see the setup and activation.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the heads up on the contest! We all can do CW, and may operate a bit of SSB for contest fun as well.

I may need to mod the Half-Square to work on 17m as well… Hmmmm.

Hi Adam,
There are a bunch of activations around ZL3 from 2300z on the 26th through until around (usually) 0030z on 27th. Weather dependent, I may stick around until 0100z. It would be great to work some S2S to NA. Will look for your spots (I should have cell coverage).
73 and good luck,
Geoff ZL3GA

1 Like

Hi Adam,

I wish I could join the plan from JA but I have another plan. So please let us know next time again. I will inform my SOTA mates your plan by SOTA JAPAN mailing list or other means. I hope you enjoy S2S DX. And I am looking forward to reading your activation report of this weekend here.

Aki JI3BAP

Hi again Adam,
We will now be up 24 hours earlier (from 2300z on 25th) due to a poor Wx forecast for the original date. Will look for you from home QTH, good luck for your activation.
Geoff ZL3GA

1 Like

It looks like you and the contesters will have a challenge this weekend with the atmospheric conditions. we currently have a G1 minor storm in process and Kp is up to 5 and expected to continue at 4 into Saturday and possibly Sunday. (Update even on Friday Kp hit 6).

Bands will be noisey (as if they weren’t noisey enough with the contest HI).

73 Ed.

1 Like

The best operational mode is FT8. I may try FT8 and 100 w on 14 MHz.

1 Like