VK/ZL <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 22 Oct 16 0630 - 0830 UTC

Sounds like fun. I have a question. If I activate a summit I have already activated this year, OK so no points for the summit activation but do I still get S2S points?

Hi John

Yes, you score the chaser component of the S2S QSO, which adds to your overall S2S total.

Thatā€™s the reason for my frequent activations of Mt Stromlo and Mt Ainslie.

Hope to hear you Saturday evening.

Cheers

Andrew VK1AD

Thanks Andrew for the answer. The activity sounds fun but with band and weather conditions Iā€™m not sure the likely hood of success to EU from ZL at present, guess one has to remain an eternal optimist.

Hi John,

20m band conditions from VK have been very good over the last 7 days. In the last 45 minutes I have been listening to Andrew VK1DA in VKFF-0864 on 14.240 MHz working EU chasers, EU signals are good.

Andrew VK1AD

And another one (weather and alarm clock permitting).

1 Like

ā€¦ weather permitting Iā€™ll try to be out on one of the local hills of DM/BW, running 100W on 20m CW.
Sounds like a lot of fun. :grinning:

73, Roman - DL3TU

Just a quick update.

So far we have 19 stations alerted.

In the meanwhile Iā€™ve had some tentative and firm alerts from more EU stations.

There ā€œshouldā€ also be a few more GW and G activators out on the day. At present, we have just one GM Acivator who will be working SSB/CW, one more would be a bonus. Presently, there are no Eiā€™s or GIā€™s alertedā€¦ Perhaps, one or two can have a look at their diaries? I can assure you, GM and GI/EI summits will be a big target for the DX chasers.

So far, we have three modes alerted, CW, SSB and PSK31. According to my messages, there should be at least one VK chaser listening for PSK and one or two others who will probably dust off their equipment.

For those of you who are going to be QRV on the day (subject to all the usual caveats) an alert on SOTAwatch will pay dividends, especially if youā€™re activating something with patchy mobile/cell phone coverage.

Mike
2E0YYY

Hi Andrew & Mike,

Good idea!

I will not be on a summit but will get up early and subject to weather put the hexbeam at full height and spin it around :sunglasses: and hopefully speak with a few people.

Good luck all in any event.
Cheers
Mike

1 Like

ā€œone more would be a bonus.ā€

One more alerted.

DL/M0FMF
(At Checkpoint Charlie)

1 Like

Not bad - currently alerted for 0630 22/10 (status at 17:30 UTC 13/10/2016).

4 x OE stations
2 x GW stations
2 x DL stations
7 x G stations
1x VK1 station
2 x VK3 stations
1 x SV station
3 x CT stations
2 x GM stations
1 x F station (from 0700)

25 in all. (so far)
-there have been some stations confirm on the Sota_Australia yahoo group, who havenā€™t placed alerts - so I think there may be around 28 stations planning to take part at present.

Ed.

Hi Ed

This is a fantastic response. BTW you missed Alain F6ENO in your summary.

The planned activation count is now 27 without the additional VKs.

The Andrew/Andy count is currently four with at least one more VK Andrew to join the group. :slight_smile:

Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

Do I get bonus points if I qualify Andrew Hill with just Andrews? :smiley:

Propagation may be more interesting/challenging tonight. That minor CME is having a bit more of an effect than expected due to a strongly negative Bz. K index was up to 6. Aurora visible from Melbourne briefly around 3:30am. Donā€™t ask me how I know this. :sleeping:

UPDATED: I clearly canā€™t ready properly at 3am. Actually a minor CME, not a coronal hole.

Andrew

1 Like

Iā€™m going to try, but the schedule is looking tight at this stage. But thatā€™d add another Andrew and an MT member to the mix. If Andy and I manage to work each other thatā€™s an Andrew-to-Andrew MT-to-MT summit-to-summit (100 points? :smiley: )

If you get an Andrew to Andrew MT to MT S2S contact, maybe a 100 point bonus is fair, but you have to have incentive, so maybe a minus 100 bonus if you fail to make it :imp:

Matt
VK1MA

Added Alain, heā€™s spotted for 0700 thatā€™s why I missed him - I know French coffe is strong and it takes longer to drink (joking :slight_smile:). Actually I suspect it will be 0700 to 0730 before the first intercontinental contacts are made, so we can take care of ā€œlocalā€ S2S contacts before that if possible.

List updated with Alain - The list is now out of date as others are commiting all the time - lets hope conditions improve - this morning was terrible on 20m, so I didnā€™t go out.

73 Ed.

Will try my luck tomorrow from DM/RP-400. Will do 20m with 50W and will look for VK&ZL. Seems to be a good test. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ā€¦and itā€™s just loosened up! Should be able to join now, so Iā€™ll try select a decent summit I havenā€™t done yet this year.

Hi folks
I will join from some where in central Europe, propably DL or OK. The usual qrp on 20m and cw.I also hope to hear more cw activity from VK.

73 Marko OH9XX OH3XR

1 Like

Thanks for the contact John and the good news that you indeed managed contacts with VK & ZL earlier this morning - it looks like the bad conditions yesterday are going away (thankfully). Hereā€™s hoping no more CMEs head this way to affect next saturday - should be a great event!

Did you manage any stateside contacts from DM/RP-400?

73 Ed.

What a pity, i have to be ā€œon callā€ for my QRL and canā€™t be away from home on a summit. :cry:
wish good luck for all participant and good weather.
73 Peter