VK JA ZL - UK EU S2S QSO Party 19 Oct 2019

while calling CQ, I thought heard something in the noise, but even while playing with all the filter bells and whistles of the FT-891, I could not get any identifiable call fragments. There must have been more local noise/QRM in the area than I was aware of. (unless my RX has become deaf for some other odd reason…) Anyway it was similar to the 8 dB difference in signal level during my FT8 QSO with VK6QM.

73 de Jens HB9EKO

Was that noise from the OTHR QRM others have mentioned, or was there something more local involved?

p.s. OTHR making an appearance over here today (22/10/19):
20191022_090717

Yes, of course being in the west, that’s a problem. Perhaps for WA we should look at a short path option (later in the day in Europe) - mind you at the moment neither short nor long path seem to be working very well, only intermittently!

Ed.

In case any one is interested, here’s my Blog post on yesterdays activation: DD5LP/P – October 19th 2019 – DL/AM-176 Rentschen – UK/EU – VK/ZL S2S event. | DD5LP / G8GLM / VK2JI blog

2 Likes

Yeah, WA (or at least the most densely populated bit of it) does seem to offer slightly different propagation opportunities (and about 15 degrees difference in beam heading too, if you’re using one…) to Europe than the eastern states.

I had to miss yesterday’s event due to work. As I work most weekends, I would support a weekday event. Perhaps they could alternate between weekend and weekday to maximise opportunity for all participants?

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the s2s and chat, glad to be able to help with your setup. Not easy on HF, from G/SP-004 Shining Tor, that’s for sure. I’d gone with my gut instinct and set up the 40m inverted V dipole and was QRV at about 06:00z.

There was a reasonable number of takers. Sadly, rain put a damper on this activation, however, contacts with Ernie VK3DET and Jonathan VK7JON in Tasmania, made up for it.
Unfortunately, that was the end of the DX. I’m pretty sure there were other VK/ZL stations calling, however, I couldn’t drag them out. Thanks for trying, guys.
Oddly enough, I worked three stations from Luxembourg all 40m and that don’t happen too often.

Things eventually slowed up on 40m and so I setup the 20m dipole. There were no fireworks, nevertheless, 17 contacts entered my log.

Right now, the 20m band works much better late afternoon and evening.

In the end, due to work commitments, I had to pack up early. Nevertheless, 66 contacts logged, all ssb.

48 contacts 40m
18 contacts on 20m
16 summit to summits.

73 Mike

7 Likes

Hi Mike,
I think you were probably the only SSB operator to manage contacts into VK on Saturday. By the way I think that’s a typo and it should be VK7JON not VK7DET.

Thanks for the help with my tests with audio and amplifier. I’m still not happy that the amplifier is working well, so there’s more work to do there, I do think at the moment with the conditions the way they are, a little more power and a better antenna are going to help, once I have both working correctly.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Hi All
No luck with VK or ZL for me from G/TW-004 but still had a great day with plenty of s2s contacts and good company with Dave G3TQQ! Now looking forward to the transatlantic bash.
Nick

5 Likes

I called you several times Nick but no response to my QRP. I think the transatlantic event should yield more QSOs.

73, Colin

I was on vacation on Mallorca and for the S2S party I chose an easy drive-on summit. I took into account that my location may not be that good as some of EA6 summits that I activated in the days before that, but being relatively close to my hotel and already prepared facilities (benches) prevailed for this early activation. My XYL was with me and a few geocaches on the top were welcome entertainment for her while I played radio.
On the morning of activation the summit was covered with clouds, it was quite windy and damp. I did not expect to reach any of DX stations with my simple QRP portable setup, but I expected to reach more activators in Europe.
I was on the air until my battery was completely depleted and after two and half hours activity I had in my log 45 QSOS, 11 of those S2S stations and two of the chasers were from JA. Both were wery loud here, looks that there was short opening to the east on 20m. I had some OTHR QRM. It was loud but periodic on both 20 and 40m, so it was not too big problem.
Looking forward to next event. I still have to get one S2S QSO with OE summit for their diploma.

2 Likes

We were listening out for you but couldn’t hear anything :weary:. The weather is pretty good at the moment, so there should be plenty of opportunities for your last S2S contact. I’ll keep my fingers crossed :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

73, Sylvia

Sylvia, I was also trying to reach you, but at first I could not hear you at all, and later on (maybe different band, don’t remember) i could hear you quite well, but was not able to break through the pile-up. Maybe next time :wink:

Hi Colin
I am sorry that I missed you. I was using 100 watts to a link dipole so maybe that explains the one way propagation or maybe it was just my seventy year old cloth ears!
Nick