Visiting the Eastern Pyrnenees - Weather Outlook in May ?

F/PE-014, F/PE-026: I am considering activating these, and other peaks, while spending two weeks in the Carcassonne area. I have been watching the weather and expect light snow cover on the higher peaks and of course possible windy/cold conditions. My plan it to carry a summer boot and micro spikes to avoid having to pack crampons and an alpine boot. Any opinions on the weather on the higher peaks between May 5 and May 14 would be welcome. I will also be activating a few lower peaks near Barcelona and points north on Apr 29-May 1. Example is EA3/GI-015. Thanks. Brian N6IZ

3 Likes

As a rule the French side of the Pyrenees gets more precipitation than the Spanish side. In May I think not only will those peaks be covered in snow but there is a good chance more may fall while you are there. I would suggest you can only remain flexible and have other lower summits identified as alternatives if a suitable weather window doesn’t open.

1 Like

Hi Brian,
In my opinion even at 3000 meters of altitude there is little chance that there is still snow in May especially on the east of the Pyrenees where the Mediterranean climate influences the meteorology.
Best regards,
Chris F4WBN

3 Likes

Hi Bryan,

I am not familiar with Easter Pyrenees but I show you Midi ones (Gavarnie area) - photos taken in July 2010:

Breche de Roland:

73, Jarek

6 Likes

Thanks Chris, and thanks for the many QSO’s. Brian

1 Like

Thanks for the assistance.

1 Like