VHF/UHF is alive and well 2

Wow!!!
You heard me in England!
That’s something I’d have never expected.
I copied Pedro @EA2CKX calling me but I replied to him with signal report and he didn’t copy me.
Should we have made a QSO, you would have made my day!
I hiked to our local summit with a HH because it was raining a bit.
I may repeat tomorrow, as it’s a National holiday to conmemorate the arrival of
Cristobal Colón (Columbus) to America on October 12th, 1492.

Guru

1 Like

Not a bad evening activation. No contacts into EA - but did get into Dewsbury!

24 QSOs, all 2m FM. Used FT-817 and MFD.

Hey that’s a rareity Tom LOL

Tom seems to carry his own bubble of activity around with him! :grinning: Even so, for those of us that were active during the heyday of V/UHF even the contest days sound pretty sparce. I remember days when you couldn’t shoehorn a CQ into an empty channel on SSB and FM operators were overspilling into the CW section. There often seems a lot of activity on the data band, but finding three phone contacts going on at one time now seems “busy”!

Some evenings here nowadays you might have to drop as far as 250 for the nearest clear channel to S20 as 275 through to 575 are all busy!

Maybe other contests are “sparse” but the Tuesday night VHF/UHF events are very busy. It was difficult to find a clear run frequency last Tuesday on 2m, right through from 144.150 to 144.400.

My “bubble” is just a case of activity breeding activity. Works well over most parts of the UK I visit.

Hi Guru
You trying hardly :wink:
73 Éric
GL

1 Like

Sorry Guru I missed you today!! A neighbour called me round to fix his computer so by the time I got back you’d been and gone… Hopefully some other time.

Best 73

Did you manage Eric ? well done mate :grinning: :grinning:

Yes, I have hiked the 400m vertical meters of Mt. Ezkaba EA2/NV-119 three days in a row this long weekend in EA and I feel happy and in great physical condition.
We were having constant light rain in the morning (what, in Basque language, we call tsirimiri) but I decided to hike Mt. Ezkaba with my HH because the ascent on the Southern side of the mountain is usually well sheltered of this light rain with Northern wind conditions and the hike can be dry.
The ascent took me 35 minutes, just like in the old good times, and the light rain had stopped when I got to the summit.
However, the sky was mainly packed with dark, thick, clouds and a cool wind was blowing from the North.
I informed my friends through our whatsapp group that I was on SOTA and about to start on 145.525. Ignacio EA2BD was the first chaser and after our QSO, I selfspotted on Sotawatch in the hope of some distant chasers.
I had much better results today than yesterday with 6 QSOs in my log after having worked on 2 different frequencies. I also scanned the band and heard a station speaking French on 145.500, but it was too weak and impossible for me to understand and try a QSO.
I called CQ SOTA in Spanish, French and English just in case.
Well, it was very nice chatting with my chasers today and I look forward to meeting them all again soon.
I have learned from Tom @M1EYP and many others that a bit of rain shouldn’t stop us from going out to the mountains and a light and easy to setup 2m HH is the perfect rig for a successful and very pleasant SOTA activation.

Guru

4 Likes