VHF Low Band Fun Day!

In reply to G8XYJ:

Thanks Matt…

Well done on the new callsign, I`ll be listening out for it. Will be on
G/SP-004 tomorrow if you would like a couple of points.

Sadly, VHF fun days fall on a Sunday and inevitably, this means work at one of the rallys for me :frowning:

If, ever one falls on a Sunday when theres no rally, Ill be delighted to work one of the summits.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
We must do one of these Fun Days on a Saturday!

I will listen out for you tomorrow from home! Stick the 910 onto SSB with the Colinear!

Speak soon 73

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to 2E0YYY:

If, ever one falls on a Sunday when theres no rally, Ill be delighted to
work one of the summits.

Its a problem for people who have to work weekends or shifts. The bigger events like ISW run over the whole weekend to give more people chance to take part. ISW has an international flavour so that increases the number of potential activators so activity over two days doesnt really spread the activators out too thinly.

Fun days are great events and seem very popular. I know I was chuffed silly to qualify a Scottish summit on 70cms FM earlier this year. Is there enough interest for a 2 day fun day? What you could try Mike is arranging some kind of fun event for a Saturday. Something with a particular flavour that would be appealing to all levels of activator and chaser. Off the top of my head, trying to get all of the SP summits on the air at the same time could be worth investigating. Arrange it to suit you and with a bit of publicity and cajouling you`ve got a fun day.

Im off to craft a simple dipole for 6/4 for this low band VHF day. Ive got a radio for 6m (817). I`ll see if I can borrow some 4m gear too. SSB would be nice but a Wouxun would do at a pinch.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8XYJ:
Matt,
Sorry about lack of reply; been travelling. Thanks for suggestions and comments on 6m antennas; noted and will be looked at carefully once I have time. I will certainly contact Dave. 4m is not a runner; we have nothing at all for 4m and I think we have enough (too much) kit already. And I already need some lightweight dipoles for HF to activate the awkward one pointers.

Rod

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
We must do one of these Fun Days on a Saturday!

I will listen out for you tomorrow from home! Stick the 910 onto SSB
with the Colinear!

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the contact from G/SP-004 today. Certainly the worst winds I`ve encountered on any SOTA activation. Nearly blew my socks off!!!

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M0JLA:

Sorry about lack of reply; been travelling. Thanks for suggestions
and comments on 6m antennas;

Looking at simple antennas, I came across this 6m one yesterday. Has anyone tried one??

http://www.creative-science.org.uk/xantenna.html

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:
Jonathan,
Thank you for this idea; will try this after the J-pole has been up a couple of hills for testing.

Rod

In reply to M6HBS:
Cheers for finding this one Jonathan

I may consider having a go at that one! Looks like a very useful antenna to have, however the price of telescopic whips from Maplin is quite high - Will have to look into CPC or Ebay!

Matt G8XYJ

Matt - I am sure there must be cheaper alternatives. The antenna doesnt lend itself to have large amounts spent on it! Poundland still have the bunny ear antennas mentioned by Mike 2E0YYY a while ago, but I dont think those are long enough.

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

Poundland still
have the bunny ear antennas mentioned by Mike 2E0YYY a while ago, but
I dont think those are long enough.

Hi Jonathan,

Yep, my local Poundland still has the bunny ear antennas and the hard black camera cases are back in stock (these really are brilliant value.) I use one for the mike and one for the adaptors/connectors.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

Yes, I got one of the blue neoprene camera cases yesterday which is a perfect fit for my 857 mic. On the subject of the FT 857, whilst in the local Hobbycraft store, I bought one of their Really useful 4 litre flat pastic containers. This is brilliant for the FT-857 and much better than the cereal container I used originally and posted on another post! With a few foam blocks to keep it in place, it makes a really strong holder and still fits in the rucksack nicely. They are on special at the moment.

Jonathan

In reply to G8XYJ:

Hi Matt,

just put my alert on for my 2nd favourite summit, hope to work you with our inherited callsigns and S2S for a bonus

Looking forward to my 1st activation with my full call!! Will have to do my duty as GB2RS newsreader first then straight on to Ponderosa car park.

good luck to all out on the day!!!

Tony

Hi Tony,

Was your intermediate callsign 2E0LAE, if so congratulations on passing your full licence exam and getting the callsign of G1JPV. I wonder who had this callsign before you!

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to G1JPV:
Hi Tony

Sounds good, I am still waiting for mine to come through the post! Still as Guinness say, Good things come to those who wait!

I think WB-007 should get to Cryn easily! However my shabby cheese and pickle sarnies will be no match for the Ponderosa cafe HI!! Might stop at Bishops Castle 3 tuns brewery for a pint!

Matt

In reply to G8XYJ:

Hi Matt,

Fine business,

I will make sure my 6m dipole is directed your way, not sure about the 4m jpole but will give it a go.

and yes food is good in the Ponderosa, but it does get busy!!!

Tony

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy,

You are correct Sir, I used to be 2E0LAE, thanks for your congrats I must say the exam was tough !!!

The G1JPV was my uncles old “B” class license which has not been used for over 25 years since he passed his morse and is now a G0.

Tony

In reply to G1JPV:

thanks for your congrats I must say the exam was tough !!

Tony

Hi Tony

My sentiments exactly, I made sure I revised hard so I did not have to take it again, too many ambiguous questions!

The slim jims will make the trip fine!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

The slim jims will make the trip fine!

Where are you taking them, Matt?

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
The Trip of magical RF from Heath Mynd WB-007 to Cyrn y Brain GW-NW-043!

Are you venturing out Walt?

PS I am hunting down articles at the mo, We have had a clear up and tidy up which now mean we dont know where anything is HI

Matt

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to G3NYY:
The Trip of magical RF from Heath Mynd WB-007 to Cyrn y Brain
GW-NW-043!

Tee hee! “Making the trip” is a CB expression. :wink:

Are you venturing out Walt?

Thinking of it. The wx can’t make up its mind what to do. One minute sunny, the next minute cloudy and a cold wind. I may go out, but not too far. (I haven’t done Aconbury Hill this year yet.)

I did the 70 MHz CW contest on Sunday morning from Broadway Hill … it was freezing cold! With 25 watts I was positively QRP compared to most of the competing stations! My best DX was GM4ZUK/P near Aberdeen. Also worked ON4KHG.

PS I am hunting down articles at the mo, We have had a clear up and
tidy up which now mean we dont know where anything is HI

Many thanks! Will be interested to hear what you find in due course.

Walt (G3NYY)