Usa w4/w8 summits

What a wonderful program this is! There are numerous summits in Virginia (W4) and West Virginia (W8), “The Mountain State.” These include many like Bald Knob and others. These could be activated. I don’t understand the critera for selecting summits, but I would encourage the inclusion of summits in Virginia (especially along the “Blue Ridge” and in “The Mountail State,” W. Virginia. Accept my congratulations on this very fine program. 73 Mike W0YR Round Hill, VA USA

In reply to W0YR:

The criteria is a summit must have a prominence of 150m (approx. 500ft). In some places the topography is such that there are no such summits. In that case a prominence of 100m may be approved for the area.

Also you should be aware there is a small problem between the 2 web sites so not all the W4 summits are displayed on SOTAwatch at present. You can go here SOTA Database and select either of the W4 associations to see the full range of W4 summits available.

Andy, MM0FMF
Database Manager

In reply to W0YR:

Like Andy said, Virginia is included in the SOTA program, there is just a minor issue with the website that makes them hard to find. Most of my activations have been in Virginia and I believe there are around 400 or so summits that qualify for the program. You can see them all here (http://sotawatch.org/summits.php?assoc=58). As for West Virginia, the reason you don’t see them listed is because no one has come up with a final list of qualifying summits yet (although I heard a rumor that one is in progress).

Also, if you haven’t already, I encourage you to check out the North American SOTA group on Yahoo. (Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos)

ND9Q