Underchased Higher HF Bands

Why don’t we have a monthly High Bands activity day/weekend as we go out of Northern hemisphere Summer into Autumn and the usual improvement in higher bands.

For something to start with, 24 hrs on Sunday, August 13th, September 10th, October 15th, November 12th.

Any mode but 15m, 12m, 10m only. Enter your logs into the database and I’ll extract the chasers who work most summits on those bands and activators with greatest number of high band activations, best # qsos per activation etc. I’ll post the results on here.

11 Likes

About 4 years ago I took a trip into the bush and changed my 12/20/40/80m link dipole (inverted vee) into a 6/10/12/15/17/20/30/40/80m link dipole.
It took all day and lots of lowering and raising the antenna over a tree limb, but I think the effort was worth it.

I have used it for SOTA QSOs on all these bands.

In more recent times I have added 2m as well.

1 Like

Great idea, but why not add 6m, which can become a world-wide band at sunspot maximum when the SFI goes really high?

Quite simple Brian. I no longer find the “The Magic Band” magical any more.

1 Like

I don’t see the relevance, it is underused, available on most rigs, and can give great DX performance - though its Es will be at best sparce for the later dates an F2 opening can come at any time, I think the last great opening came at Xmas time.

1 Like

I have my linked dipole as two legs from the top of the 6m pole and a third guy line as the back stay with my flowerpot for 2m hanging from that. The dipole feeds into the rear connector and the flowerpot into the front BNC on my FT818. I’ve not been active for long but it seems to be working for me so far.
Andy
MM7MOX

2 Likes

…and what about the last (20 years SOTA) challenge ? :wink:

73 Armin

1 Like

It’s on the DB for you to look at.

1 Like

Good info above. Last Saturday I put together a linked vertical with 10 through 20 meter bands. My prior linked vertical was just 15 and 20 meters and I was shortsighted in doing so. Next week will be my first time activating in over a year so I’m looking forward to trying additional bands and seeing how it works out. Looks like 10-12m will be good into South America and Japan on certain hours and 17m into Europe and South Pacific. All new bands on an activation for me.

2 Likes