UK's most remote Marilyn

I just saw this photo on the BBC news website. It’s a truly stunning view of St. Kilda which features the remotest Marilyn, Conachair GM/SI-098.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/uk_enl_1219821553/html/1.stm

It’s not the easiest place to get to but what a view!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Now I could DEFINATELY live there, WOW what a wonderful place.

Cheers Andy for that

In reply to M0LMP:

The inhabitants couldn’t!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Yeah Brian but I am a hermit in real life and that place would suit me to the core !!

In reply to MM0FMF:

I seem to rememer a documentary on BBC where a group of 3 explored the Isle. This was not too long ago and very fascinating it was too.

In reply to G6DDQ:
Kate Humble, Dan Snow and one other. The military still have a small base there I think…

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

The military still have a small base there I think…

It’s the radar tracking station for the missile range on South Uist.

I couldn’t find a photo of the St. Kilda end of the range, so here’s a picture of the view from the top of Conachair.

The highest hill in the St Kilda group of islands.
Boreray, Stac Lee, and Stac an Armin in the distance.

And here is where the missiles start.

Rocket tracking station on South Uist
One of the buildings associated with launch control on the missile range. The range control buildings are on the hill top behind.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks for all those Andy.
It’s a reminder I must get serious about landscape photography again.

Show’s how the short term memory is going - I couldn’t remember what the base was for and the programme was aired how long ago - 2 / 3 months? LOL
Look forward to working you on more summits soon!

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to MM0FMF:

I remember driving a 50 seater coach up a very narrow twisty single track road to space city. On arrival the gate was locked & with nowhere to turn round, had to reverse the damn thing all the way back down - my neck has ached ever since.