UK Travel for SOTA

Bardon Hill will remain available I expect.

Gerald doesnā€™t have enough unused callsigns to active from there as he used both of his already on that summit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, butā€¦ my alter-ego CXK is less OCD about his records. Youā€™ll find heā€™s done some summits more than once. Oh how normal! :grin:

3 Likes

Fed up of Covid? Just a bit, yeah.

Last year I was touring with Joe Longthorne, The Mindbenders, Love Affairā€™s Steve Ellis and The Platters. Now there arenā€™t even any pub gigs or wedding gigs. The football club Iā€™ve supported since being a teenager has gone bust and the matches on TV have been destroyed by empty stadiums, fake crowd noise and VAR (video assisted refereeing).

Now, to top it all, I had one last summit to complete activating all of G, GI, GD, GU, GJ and GW, and I was going to do it this Sunday. But Iā€™ve been thwarted by GW FM (Welsh First Minister) who is closing the border 36 hours before my intended activation!

But - all things in perspective. My family are all in good health. I have another career to fall back on. A phoenix club - Macclesfield FC - has been formed, and promises to be lots of fun. I will, at some point, gig again. And as they always say, the hill will still be there tomorrow / next month / next year.

13 Likes

Arghhā€¦ now we have Wales in lockdown from Friday 23rd October until Monday 9th November! Then apparently we are likely to have Scotland following the Tier System. I am just hoping that this doesnā€™t all end up with a complete lockdown like earlier in the year.

Indeed Tom! Good health, a roof over your head, food on the table, a comfortable bed to sleep in, not living in a war zoneā€¦ all things we need to be extremely grateful for.

3 Likes

I note that these ā€œlockdownā€ rules will make life hard for you where there are few summits near. Myself, Iā€™m not meant to travel outside the Lothian Health Board area without good reason . However, I think there are 7 or 8 summits inside the area. The downside is this area includes Edinburgh and its suburbs and as a result many of those will be mad busy. Theyā€™re busy enough without restricting the population of one of Scotlandā€™s biggest cities to the area.

Itā€™s a bummer. But there again, so is life and then you die and then your estate will be taxed. Pass the booze!

1 Like

Only after its been drunk!

The thing that I find most irritating is that them in London demand that they make these sacrifices but wonā€™t guarantee that the sacrifices will work.

1 Like

There are very few guarantees in life (except perhaps death).

One of those few guarantees is that some tripe will be spoken and pointless debate will occur on this Reflector at this time of year, as the nights draw in and we await the lease of life to be afforded by the seasonal bonus.

For the avoidance of doubt, I absolutely include myself in the above observation.

5 Likes

And we are not supposed to drive to places for exercise/recreational outdoorsy activities. :frowning: Still no limits on the number of outings per day this time around, so not too bad! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When that happened here in April, I devised several walking routes of varying lengths, starting and finishing from my home QTH. Hoping that doesnā€™t happen again - but if it does, the walking will continue even if not the SOTA.

http://tomread.co.uk/lockdown_walks.htm

Yeah, we did various loops from our village, usually with a backpack (weighing 12 kg in my case). It was really nice to feel safe on the roads for once, but now the traffic volume is back up to normal again.

1 Like

Bother.

GW/MW-038 - the last remaining summit unactivated by @M0HGY and @M1EYP in any of G, GW, GD, GU, GD, GI, PA and LX - has eluded us yet again.

When we originally planned to do it, Wales went into a lockdown 36 hours ahead of our alert, and non-essential travel there was not on.

We were now going to take advantage of the UK-wide easing of travel (and other) restrictions in the 5 days over Christmas. The careful plan was to fuel up in Macclesfield and take food with us, avoiding all potential contact during our daytrip.

At least weā€™ve had a bit more notice this time - 3.5 days as opposed to 1.5. But at teatime today, we were thwarted again.

We WILL get there, one dayā€¦

4 Likes

Sure you will. Donā€™t desperate. Being patient is what it has to be now and you are doing good on that.
Rainy here at the momentā€¦

Guru

1 Like

So far I am still in Tier 2. So travel within Tier 2 is, or perhaps Iā€™ve missed it, still OK.

Unfortunately our little old village is now stuffed with visitors from tier 3 areas. Its a shame no one enforces the rules. I guess weā€™ll be in tier 3 before long.

3 Likes

Or even T4 David. :mask:

1 Like

Covid Map local to you. Everywhere Covid rates rising David. MInd how you go and stay safe.

73 and MX
Phil

2 Likes

Durham Tier 3 still with all nearby summits either just on, or slightly the wrong side of the border so batteries still safely in storage mode. Fingers crossed we donā€™t go to 4 until the new year as son has replacement driving test on 30th December - not that there will be anywhere he can drive if he passesā€¦ My plan to complete the G/NP reigon is back on hold and the winter points will be waiting for next year (21/22). On the bright side my morse is slowly improving and Iā€™m starting to feel brave enough to try a few slow chases - It might even be possible that by the time we are out again I might manage a CW activationā€¦ Whicever part of the world or restiction you do / donā€™t have stay safeā€¦ Paul

4 Likes

30th is a date in my diary too, as it should be my wedding day. That is looking more unlikely the closer we get to it.
I wish they would enforce the rules more, that would stop the spread and I would not have to travel to work everyday. The only work from home I managed was when I had to self isolate for 14 days, when they promptly dropped a PC off for me. Merry Christmas all.

2 Likes

Thinking the same as yourself Dave and may try to get to the car park at Buckden, there is two summits you can get to from there NP009 and NP031.
Just be careful with the roads I was out locally with work near Nenthead Weardale close to Burnhope and the roads werenā€™t treated, bit of ice and snow on the roads that was around 0900hrs.

I should maybe get the truck washed first before any activations.

Graeme
Happy Christma

2 Likes