Try to take Sota Activatons in CW in the future

Hi Sota Friends,

today i took the first CW Activation.

Sorry vor many wrong signs :slight_smile: I will practice it.

https://sotl.as/activators/DC8YZ

Thanks for all QSOs.

73 Michael

14 Likes

Yet the current crop of AM stations are closing left, right and centre as nobody listens any more and 100kW AM stations cost a fair bit in elastictrickery to run.

I bet you could get a licence now quite easily.

I do remember Caroline North as a wee child. Well I donā€™t remember it but I can remember my sister used to tune it in instead of the Light programme and bug my mother during the day, so I remember the words about it. It was Fab 208 at night of course. I can remember the news about the Marine Offences Act even though I was 6, my mother had my father explain many times why things were changing.

Some excellent Caroline jingles etc. on Youtube.

1 Like

Brilliant stuff Michael! Congratulations on your first activation by CW, looks like you worked a fantastic number of stations considering it was your first time to use that mode. From my memory I think I made 4 or 5 on my first before my brain cried enough, so big kudos to you! :clap::clap::clap:

Hope youā€™re celebrating with a suitable treat this evening.

73 and well done again,

Matthew M0JSB

3 Likes

Congratulations, delighted for you. Itā€™s onward and upward now. Many more CW activations to come I hopeā€¦ 73 es gl Mike

4 Likes

Von mir auch die herzlichsten GlĆ¼ckwĆ¼nsche.

Frei nach Loriot: ā€œEin Leben ohne Sota (in Telegrafie) ist mƶglich, aber sinnlos!ā€

73 Chris

My heartiest congratulations too. Loosely based on Loriot*):

ā€œLife without Sota (in telegraphy) is possible, but pointless!ā€

*) Probably the best-known German caricaturist

4 Likes

65 QSOs over two+ hours is a very impressive first activation! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well done, Michael and thanks for the S2S!
Keep up the good work :+1:t3:

73, Roman

1 Like

Yesterday, while chasing, I did hear S2S being sent. I think the activator was a little confused at first, but did realise what it meant and they had a good S2S. But /P is still much more common in Europe.

2 Likes

Lots of great tips in this thread. GL on your first CW activation. It doesnā€™t have to be pretty. Consider putting something like ā€œFirst CW SOTA Big Spaces PSE Send Call 2xā€ in the notes on your spot.
Hereā€™s a video from my first Morse activation: https://youtu.be/eSxHijUioyU?t=393

As you can see it was very messy. I had to ask for repeats over and over to get K7III. A big part of getting better on the air is confidence in what you are hearing is what you think it is. That comes with practice. Have fun! 73 de Tim N7KOM

3 Likes

Thanks Tom, it is really good to read this.

I watched Ben @GW4BML make such rapid progress with a just do it approach. His enthusiasm is contagious and Iā€™ve given it a go. I am finding it hard work but am sticking with my daily CW practice. It can be embarrassing when you just canā€™t hear that chaser callsign and then find that your brain is so tired that you have lost the ability to key. Encouragement is much appreciated.

73 Kevin

9 Likes

Your progress has shown over the past few weeks to Mr Nicholls @MW0KXN :grinning: keep it up!

73, GW4BML. Ben

4 Likes

This is so true and still catches me out to this day. When Iā€™m struggling to read an incoming CW callsign, and requesting several repeats, it nearly always ends up being what I instinctively thought it was (but didnā€™t trust myself) in the first place!

6 Likes

I have found CW ops to be the most forgiving and encouraging hams in the hobby. As a new cw op, you will get lots of leeway to operate in.

6 Likes