Tropo conditions

In reply to G8XYJ:
Hi Matt,
Nice to work you and Dave last night - what superb condx!
Am not used to such high freqs but managed to work 6 EU stations with my 817 and SOTA SB270 beam - best was OZ9KY at 972kms !

One query - some EU stations would not give a serial number - do I put 000 or just leave blank ? don’t think the rules require a number for good qso ?

73 Peter TJE+

In reply to G3TJE:
Hi Peter

Well done on the DX especially with 5 watts! Our best was into Sweden at just over 1000km! I am looking forward to the WX being mild enough to go onto the summit of WB-004, at present operating from car seems to be good enough for Dave and I!

Not sure about the serial number, I am sure somebody here or on our Yahoo group will be bale to answer the question.

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G0VOF:

has been working France

Imagine what he could do with an antenna connected :slight_smile:

You should take a look at my SOTA logs sometime Andy, they’ll answer all your questions :slight_smile:

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to G8XYJ:

the good news is that my

nose for weather is twitching and I think there is a good chance for
the high pressure to re-establish next week (cross fingers!)

Brian G8ADD

Can we hold you to that? ;o)
Hoping to have more time to play next week…

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:
good conditions on 144MHz today Kent Beacon 9+30 instead of 52
ON, DJ & OK heard

73 Graham G4JZF

In reply to G4JZF:

good conditions on 144MHz today Kent Beacon 9+30 instead of 52
ON, DJ & OK heard

I can hear nothing in Tewkesbury. All the simplex channels are unoccupied and all the repeaters are their normal strength.

If there is any ducting, we must be well below it - as usual.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
I’ve heard TRB say he can only hear ON’s and he usually hears more than me !!

I think conditions have now gone down the beacon is now only 57

73 Graham G4JZF

Hmmm… I wonder… Is there some sort of law of conservation of DX that says HF must go for a loop if VHF is having fun… :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to G8ADD:

, the good news is that my

nose for weather is twitching and I think there is a good chance for
the high pressure to re-establish next week (cross fingers!)

Seems your nose is a good judge of pressure, Brian.

Keep a window in your diary free for Wednesday and Thursday coming.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G4JZF:
Not only was I within a mile of Walt when I wrote that Graham, but I was at work, so no chance to check beacons… sadly!
Just trying to keep some more time free to play radio late afternoons this week if condx are good. Will be watching the long range forecast this morning. :slight_smile:

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G3TJE:

One query - some EU stations would not give a serial number - do I put
000 or just leave blank ? don’t think the rules require a number for
good qso ?

General Rules for RSGB VHF/UHF/SHF Contests 2012

http://www.rsgbcc.org/vhf/rules/12rules/General.htm

4d. No points will be lost if a non-competing station cannot provide an IARU locator, serial number, or any other information that may be required. However, the receiving operator must receive and record sufficient information to be able to calculate the score.

Stewart G0LGS

On Tuesday I heard none of the 70cm DX from Home, I was doing mainly S&P for the contest and didn’t even listen on 2m.

I did manage to get Wednesday afternoon away from the office and operated on 2m and 70cm from Cleeve Hill (outside AZ from Car) using 9Ele Tonna’s for both bands.

A total of 127 QSOs were made, mostly DL but also F,G,OE,OK,ON,PA - 2m ODX OK1FPR in JO80 1286Km, 70cm ODX OK1TEH in JO70 1167Km. 13 New squares on 2m and 6 on 70cm.

As far as I recall this was the Best Tropo opening I have ever operated in.

There was some AU on Thursday afternoon and early evening (nothing heard on SSB and nothing worked from my shack), which was followed by a Tropo opening to Northern Spain, mostly whilst our local club meeting was on, but I still managed to make one contact.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

Mrng Stewart,
Thanks for your reply to confirm how the rules could be interpreted !
Only 2 stations couldn’t give a serial nr, all other info was copied.
I did email the adjudicator, he said ‘put 999 in the serial number box to highlight the qso’ - will await the UBN report !

73 Peter TJE+

Peter,

I have put something in the comment field regarding the missing information.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

A total of 127 QSOs were made, mostly DL but also F,G,OE,OK,ON,PA - 2m
ODX OK1FPR in JO80 1286Km, 70cm ODX OK1TEH in JO70 1167Km. 13 New
squares on 2m and 6 on 70cm.

Wonderful DX Stuart. Nice to work you from your home QTH yesterday and thanks for the S2S from G/CE-001. Thanks to Matt also.

As far as I recall this was the Best Tropo opening I have ever
operated in.

The pressure bottomed out at 1009 hPa here in S-o-T and is back up to 1016 and rising. Hepburn gives Wednesday and Thursday as the time to be QRV, although Thursday looks better, especially for GM.

73 Mike
2E0YYY