Trial Activation - G/WB-005 Long Mynd

Greetings all. I am very new to this so please forgive me for not posting advance information of yesterday’s activation, but I felt a trial was in order before I committed myself to something more serious. It was a last minute decision anyway, based on yesterday’s sunny weather, which was not forecast to last.

Armed with my FT817 and an HB9CV I drove to Pole Bank on the Long Mynd in Shropshire yesterday afternoon (G/WB-005). 2m SSB was very quiet and I worked only two stations so I quickly moved to 2m FM where I only worked three more stations before I decided the weather was just a little too cold to continue, despite me being quite well wrapped up.

I don’t know if I am to report this activation elsewhere on this site or simply keep it in my own logbook. I will certainly add the details to my personal website.

John

In reply to G1VVP:

Hi John, welcome to the fold!

You have more than the 4 contacts to “qualify” that summit, so you could enter them in the database - see the “Database” link at the top of the page. (You could enter them even if you’d fewer than 4, but you wouldn’t get the points!) It’s a couple of years since I registered, so I’ve forgotten, but I think you might need to register again there to post your data, as well as the registration you have done to post on the reflector here.

I certainly find it the easiest way to keep track of SOTA activations, even though I don’t do that many.

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

Thanks John.

All contacts now added!

I think I will probably be more of a chaser than an activator, but the fitness aspect of the walking and climbing appeals so I will doubtless activate a few more summits along the way.

Thanks again.

John, G1VVP (Nottinghamshire)

In reply to G1VVP:

Hi John,

Good to hear of your activation and The Long Mynd is certainly a good place to make a start. Quite a drive over from Notts, so well done on that. While you are not ideally located for the summits, there are a fair number within reach and I’m sure we’ll see you up on the likes of Shining Tor and Kinder Scout in due course - all old stomping grounds for me in the days before SOTA.

Hopefully catch you on 2m SSB soon.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Thanks Gerald. Kinder Scout is a priority and I will notify this group of any attempts I make.

A friend in South Yorkshire also plans to join this group and we have already spoken about making an activation or two in the “Tyne to Wash” range in the very near future.

I see you are formerly from Southwell. This has reminded me that it has been a long time since I have visited the Bramley Apple, the Admial Rodney and the Hearty Goodfellow. Excellent real ales! I must ‘activate’ them again soon. :0)

John, G1VVP

In reply to G1VVP:

I have added a more detailed account of my first activation on my personal blog at http://www.g1vvp.co.uk/blog-04-05-10.html

In reply to G1VVP:

Hi John,

There used to be 13 pubs in Southwell when I lived there. It’s a shame that many have now disappeared, though our old radio sortie planning HQ, The Admiral Rodney, is still going strong.

The TW’s are a nice set of hills and the 3 up the top should be a possibility in a day from Nottinghamshire if you get up early enough. There’s a couple of them somewhat nearer to practice on as well.

73, Gerald

P.S. An excellent report John and some super photos.

In reply to G4OIG:

Thanks Gerald.

It’s a great shame to see so many establishments closing down.

Back to SOTA, I think I must have got the bug as I intended to make another activation yesterday evening - Bardon Hill in Leicestershire, but I left it a little too late and stuck to some local hills. Hopefully next week.

I will be looking closely at the Tyne to the Wash summits soon too.

Cheers

John
G1VVP