Trans-Atlantic S2S - review of dates

I have thought about this as well Ed. In reality it would just be 17m and 12m for making Trans-Atlantic contacts, though I have occasionally worked across the ocean from a summit using 30m. Such contacts are rare. My main concern would be that we would have to share these bands with others avoiding the contests, so they could be crowded.

So we have (my suggestion)…

1. Saturday 19th October 2024, concentrating on 30m, 17m and 12m.

2. Saturday 2nd November 2024, using 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m and 10m.

So the question is, do we run both for this year?

73, Gerald

1 Like

I’ve always pointed out that too many special event weekends lowers the pressure on people to take part. Why bust a nut to get out for that special event if there is another in a few weeks and another one after that.

However… leveraging the fact that the bands are really starting to come very good it probably is worth doing two events this time. The last one was so good because we had lots of W6/W7 guys out early for us EU guys out late and coupled with good 10m etc. conditions it was a real blast. So yes, it probably is worth doing 2 events.

Can I request we do a Saturday and a Sunday so that those who have to work on a Saturday (or have fixed family commitments) get a shot on another day.

2 Likes

All WAG refugees will gather on the 250 kHz of the WARC bands.I still doubt this would be a good date for a s2s event.

I’ve worked across the pond on 60m with QRP - but at about 0200UTC!

1 Like

That is true of all contests of course Pom. The wide-band-noise (aka Contest Operating), drives amateurs off the usual bands onto the WARC bands in both the CW & SSB parts of the band (if their licence class allows it).
Being located in Germany I also think avoiding the WAG weekend makes a lot of sense, but having the event before the worst of the weather starts in November is also (IMHO) a good idea. How about at the start of October Gerald - the 5th has two contests in Region 3 that won’t affect us and the only US QSO party starts at 1600 UTC at which point most EU/UK activators will be heading off the summits before nightfall.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

To play Devils Advocate - isn’t every weekend in 2024 Trans-Atlantic summit to summit weekend? We may not need a specific event, especially with all of the 10m challenge activity.

1 Like

Indeed it is Fraser, given where we are at this point in the solar cycle. However, as Andy has pointed out, the success of this event over the years has been in setting a date which folks on both sides of the Atlantic have been able to focus on. Getting as many people as possible onto summits at the same time has been key to making some T/A S2S contacts when the conditions have been poor. I share his concern that having more than one date could be counter-productive.

I quite like Ed’s suggestion for an event on 5th October and note Andy’s comment that a Sunday event might be attractive to those with other commitments on a Saturday. So to progress the debate, what do people think about leaving the Trans-Atlantic S2S event on Saturday 2nd November 2024 and running a extra event (separate title?) on Sunday 6th October 2024? Maybe this would even attract a few new participants for the T/A event. :grinning:

73, Gerald

7 Likes

In principal I wouldn’t mind a Sunday event however on October 6th, you hit the California State QSO party that starts at 1600 on Saturday 5th October and runs through to 2200 UTC on the 6th.