Trans-Atlantic S2S reports 20th April 2024

Hi Gerald,

I was not able to get out this year.

Looks like you did pretty well despite the wimpy conditions.

Notice that every November Event is better than the one in the spring for the EU/NA path…and that is normal based on my Six Meter observations since the 1960’s that the only openings to EU on 6M were ALWAYS in November. I believe that data is due to the fact that we are closest to the sun in the winter.

So the November event will always be better…well…maybe not always…no way to outguess the Solar Activity.

This next DX peak is coming up soon…but it is to the Southern Hemisphere…Africa, SA, VK/ZL.

Was out yesterday on a summit…worked two EA…tons of NA to the east coast, but only along the states East coast, and Easter Island. Only worked Big Gun EU stations.

Anyhow u did well considering the time of year, and all of the solar flares.

Hope we can QSO again soon! If all else fails likely in November!

Pete
WA7JTM

2 Likes

Indeed it is Pete. As can be seen from the graph, a couple of the Spring events produced very little and I was pleased to come off the summit with a single Trans-Atlantic S2S in the log. Nevertheless, I firmly remain of the opinion that it is worth running two events per year regardless of where we are in the solar cycle on the principle of “if you don’t try, you don’t get”.

I recall there was some interest in a W to VK S2S event a couple of years back. Maybe someone could put a proposal in place and get one set up.

I’m really looking forward to November. I’ve already started planning a few days activating around the date with the idea of spending a bit longer on the summit to see if it is worthwhile. It will definitely be a descent in the dark, but once it’s dark it’s dark, so really it’s irrelevant whether it’s 17:00 or 18:00 or even later. Probably a bit too late in the year for an overnighter.

73, Gerald

1 Like

Looking back at the last 12 Meter challenge logs for November will give some clues as to results we could see on 10 meters this fall.

LOTS of EU/NA s2s QSO’s during the last sunspot peak.

Pete
WA7JTM

2 Likes

I’ve not heard my own round the world echoes yet on 10 or 12m. As we got nearer to November last maximum I was regularly hearing my own round the world echoes, often more than 5 echos. It made CW completely unusable :frowning:

2 Likes

As I was driving back south after this month’s event, I had a phone conversation with Mike G4BLH who has considerable 10m experience and expertise. Mike wasn’t surprised that I had not had any results on 10m as the best period for the band has now passed until the autumn. Simon GM4JXP did manage some Trans-Atlantic S2S contacts on the band, but he was running a directional antenna. I guess he will be at the forefront of things in November. :grinning:

1 Like

It was a very windy day, the idea of use the hentenna for 10mt faded. The last hour at home before leaving, I made 5 efhw radiator for 20 18 15 12 10. I put in the rucksack all the necessary: kx3, phone, key, telescopic pole, antennas, QRP 64:1 transformer, batts lipo and I grabbed also the ft857d… for work also in QRO and have some chance more. I remebered to take the QRO 64:1 transformer.
I reached my prefered summit I/LO-222 Mt Tesoro that has a good take off.

I fixed 15-12-10mt wires on the telescopic pole,
I started to call with kx3 in qrp at 14:00 utc on 15mt cw, 3 qso in 30minute, it was not so good…

I think to have missed a s2s qso with @VA2YZX, your signal was poor and suffered by strong qsb, I listened only some letters, sorry Sly.
I decided to use the big gun, I passed to ft857d, yt100 atu and 50watts, I installed the qro setup and started to call but… nothing… no one spot, no one qso… I spent a lot of time to understand what was happening…
a pop up in my mind… some months ago I needed a toroid and I removed from somewhere… infact the box that I was using was empty…

I found an another transformer in the pocket of rucksack, and I adapted a coax with bnc box…

I worked qro mode in 15-12-10 cw ssb, .

I wanted to contact David N6AN in s2s but the propagation wasn’t enough. It will be for the next time!

great fun!
Thanks at All!

4 Likes

Well, that is what it is all about Roberto. I see that despite the problem with your antenna set up, you did very well on 28MHz up to around 17:00z. It certainly looks like I left my summit too early. In future I need accommodation nearby so I can stay later on the summit, particularly in the April events.

73, Gerald

2 Likes

Much later, here’s more of a report: will add S2S details once the logs are typed into a computer (I use paper on the hills as my handwritten scrawl is more likely to be accurate than my fat fingers on a phone!).

Our target was Boulsworth Hill G/SP-008, which dominates the town of Trawden where we are staying. We were able to leave the car parked on the drive and walk from the door. The first point of interest was the cobbled pathway running uphill opposite the cottage, which continued up where the road turned left, and as we reached its end there was a short section with embedded rails. It turns out it is the remains of what was the Trawden and Colne light railway: a tramway that ran for a relatively short period between 1905 and 1929. Leaving the road we took footpaths and tracks heading roughly south which eventually led to a lovely little wooded valley of Gilford Clough.

Trawden and Colne light railway remains

Gilford Clough.

Emerging from the clough a slightly soggy gassy area led us to the bridleway that runs along the north edge of Boulsworth Hill. A short distance east along it led to a permitted path that climbed pretty much straight up: a bit boggy in places and steep but not excessively so in others. The path bent left along the ridge leading to the white painted trig point.

It was considerably less windy than on previous days, but there was still enough of a chill breeze at the top for us to want to drop down on the slightly more sheltered east side. We also avoided the trig point as although not as busy at some hills there were a fair number of other visitors. Caroline set up VHF/UHF propping the rucksack against a rock while Martyn set up the HP dipole a little lower contriving a position where it didn’t block any of the many paths radiating from the summit.

Boulsworth Hill Trig Point

Boulsworth Hill HF station

Boulsworth Hill operating on HF with VHF/UHF station behind.

Boulsworth Hill VHF/UHF station

As Caroline set up there was a VHF summit station calling, and our first summit to summit was in the bag. Martyn first went to 40m, where we manged to both work 4 other summit stations - the hill qualified with summit to summits! Martyn then tried 60m but only got 3 contacts. Meanwhile Caroline was bobbing between VHF and UHF, picking up another S2S. Martyn then had a 10m SSB S2S which Caroline missed, but then had a run on 40m getting some more S2S. Where possible we called each other over when an S2S was available, but sometimes the other person was too busy on their own station to break off!

After some more 40m S2Ses Caroline took over 40m for a run, ending with one more S2S. She then moved to 20m during which time Martyn picked up a VHF S2S on the other station! A couple more 20m S2S and we then tried 15m looking for transatlantic contacts. We didn’t really expect much and were delighted to get a first transatlantic S2S for both of us: difficult copy but we made it. Martyn managed a second even more difficult transatlantic contact, but he faded out before Caroline could work him. Martyn then went into search and pounce looking for other S2S while Caroline continued back on 2m. It was all a bit chaotic, but Caroline ended up with 75 contacts, 22 of which were S2S (21 unique callers as she worked one person on both 15m and 2m!), while Martyn has 42 contacts, 23 of which were S2S. Caroline qualified the hill with > 4 contacts on 70cms, 2m, 40m and 20m, and Martyn on 2m, 40m and 15m.

A stunning day on the hills, but we had to stop sometime and pack up to descend as we had a moderate walk back to the cottage. The return was slightly longer as we chose a more scenic route, but it was worth it on what turned out to be a lovely evening. Heading NE and then NNW we dropped down to the bridleway, which is part of the Pennine Bridleway and Bronte Way, following the Bronte Way to the little village of Wycoller with its quirky stone bridges. Out of the wind it was sufficiently warm that we needed to shed some clothing layers.

Turnhole Clough

Wycoller bridge/ford

Wycoller bridge and ruined hall.

Wycoller bridge/ford

Wycoller bridge/ford

Evening light on Boulsworth Hill on the road back to Trawden.

7 Likes