Trans-Atlantic S2S QSO Party - 7th November 2020 - Part 2 - Reports

Wonderful to read all the activation reports for the Transatlantic NA-EU event and the enjoyment I read about mirrors my own experience on CT/AL-002. After 2 days of rain, the weather forecast said “partly cloudy” for the 7th but it turned out to be “mostly cloudy with an hour of rain”. When the rain started, I spread my poncho over me and the equipment to keep dry but the wind made it challenging to keep the poncho in place.

Since the trig point was adjacent to a mobile phone tower, I set up my portable station slightly downslope to the south of the summit with a clear view West toward North America. My antenna was a 10m long vertical which I used on both 20m and 17m.

On my last activation I managed to forget the external battery for the KX3, but this time I remembered it and was able to run QRO power (5 watts) for the entire time (hi hi).

Operating window: 1230-1630 UTC
Bands/Mode: 20m CW & 17m CW
Total QSOs: 108 including 17 NA QSOs
Total S2S QSOs: 25 including 5 NA S2S QSOs
Best DX: 8906 km to K6HPX in Tucson, Arizona USA (on both 20m & 17m)
Best S2S DX: 8727 km to KR7RK on W7A/CS-006 in Arizona USA

Thanks to the event organizers and to all the activators and chasers who made this event a fun day.

73 de CT7/K9PM Paul

11 Likes

Glad to have participated briefly from local peak W2/GC-020 at only 698M elevation but good take-off in three directions. Used my FT-818 at 6W to either an end-fed inverted L or a center-fed inverted V up 8 meters. Unexpected congestion on 20M with the SKCC event. I did manage to work G8CXK/P and EA2GM plus four stateside summits and some chasers before being evicted by a state park ranger who claimed I needed a special permit to operate from the park !! Very disappointing for me after weeks of anticipation… Thanks for a great event Mike, WB2FUV

3 Likes

A pleasure George. I’m very happy to have made your day. Hopefully we can have more contacts in future events.

I hope this hasn’t put you off Mike. You were a cracking signal with that barefoot 818. A very solid 559. Pity you weren’t permitted to stay longer as I’m sure you’d have made more S2S contacts.

73, Gerald G8CXK / G4OIG

1 Like

AC1Z- I seem to always be able to make S2S contact with you George! You put out a great signal into New Hampshire! Congratulations! I hope to get out your way next summer if all goes as planned.

1 Like

There was plenty of interest in this event, SMS use was up 52% on a normal Saturday.

6 Likes

Brilliant timing for this event. I had some free time, the day broke a record for warmth, and band conditions were wonderful. My summit (W1/AM-300) was an easy climb (more of a stroll, really) and I noticed no other people during 3 hours of operation. I used my 4-band K1 and an end-fed wire / inverted L.

Started at 1400z on 20 CW with some search and pounce. My first, M1BUU/P, was followed by a string of transAtlantic S2S QSOs before I decided to call CQ. In the end, I logged 53 contacts in 12 countries and 14 states with 24 S2S contacts (15 EU). Even though the thrill was mostly in the DX, it was fun to put AC1Z and K1RID in the log from nearby summits.

I started SOTA a year ago and this was my activation #5. I’ve been having a lot of fun, but this event easily becomes high point #1.

9 Likes

Hi Colin
How much power does that little amp run? You had one of the
best European goat signals I’ve heard in California!

John, K6YK

The amp is putting around 30 watts out at present. I could probably increase it a bit more, but then again I’m not sure 40 watts is much different to 30 watts. I’m a QRPer so I don’t have equipment that can measure higher power levels accurately. The best I can do is my Nissei SWR meter.

The contact made my day, thanks :slight_smile:

73, Colin

3 Likes

NIce meter Colin - much like the Daiwa Cross Pointer meters I have been using here for over 30 years. See pic - ancient and modern…

Touch wood, I don’t seem to be able to damage them!

Well done on building your QCX Amp - you’ll be giving others ideas that they ought to build one for themselves. Rather like my XYL knits jumpers for the grandkids (another one on the way) you build your own radio gear. Bravo I say! You were a belting signal in Pickering from Buckden Pike on the 20m band last Saturday.

73 Phil

1 Like

Colin,
Made my day, too! Don’t get too many European SOTAs out
here in California…
John, K6YK

4 Likes