Trans-Atlantic S2S Event 23rd April 2022 (Part 1)

Thanks for putting this together. Count me in!
Scott kw4jm

2 Likes

Well, the post from Fraser MM0EFI about his latest outing in the snow has prompted me to bump this post up the reflector. It is just over 2 weeks to go to this event. It very much looks like I will be up in Scotland, so i had better start looking for a reasonably accessible summit with a good take off in the appropriate direction. Recent band conditions have shown the higher bands are coming back into play, so maybe it is time to add 15m links to my vertical. Hopefully some good contacts will be made over the pond.

73, Gerald G4OIG / G8CXK

5 Likes

Hi Gerald,
I think this is going to be a balancing act between three factors:

1. The weather
  2. Time differences when people are out on the summits
    and
  3. The TOD (time of day) that the bands will be open (I think for EU-NA, it’ll be afternoon UTC time).

At the moment we don’t have any planned times posted for the NA stations and the EU one are too early I think:
at least there are only a limited number of contests it seems:

I think 17m might be a good choice though, to avoid the Swiss contest traffic.
73 Ed.

5 Likes

The TA S2S Event collides with a local SOTA meeting which has been planned long ago. Some members have scheduled a brief activation in the morning of April 23rd - way too early for TA S2S, unfortunately :cry:
Still I hope the event will be a great success. Good luck to everyone!

73, Roman

4 Likes

Many thanks for the advice Roman. Well something was bound to get in the way. That’s a fact of life… there is not enough time to fit everything in!

The event timing is set by the date for the QRPTTF event in the States to give some encouragement to activators that side of the pond. If I get a load of Stateside / Canadian activators suggesting another date, then an alternative can be considered for next year, but it is too late to change now. We did debate this in the past and arrived at the current arrangement which we knew wouldn’t suit everyone, but was the best compromise at the time.

73, Gerald

2 Likes

YES -

But maybe we can install equipment and antennas at the site and see if we can reach any stations from North America as DL20SOTA/P… even if we are not on a summit…

Then DL20SOTA/P is just a simple (only) chaser :wink:

Unless another member who is not coming to the meeting wants to use the call to this event at a summit…

73 Armin

6 Likes

Here you go; available on Amazon!

Will try to be on if possible.
Ken

5 Likes

Hello,

With the current solar condition improving I’d like to participate.
Most probably I will carry antennas for 15-17-20 meters for a better chance of working over the pond.

Maybe Jorge EA2LU will join me in the summit as well.
We will add the alert soon.

73 de Ignacio

6 Likes

Perhaps this costume, from Amazon as well:

But perhaps not, as the dragon came to a bad end…

I hope to get on, with or without costume.

Scott WB8ICQ

3 Likes

Good afternoon,

You can count on my participation but I haven’t decided on wich summit.
I will post an alert next week.
A doublet for 15-17-20m would be this year’s choice.

Éric

2 Likes

Can I come with you?
I am in for the S2S day as well. Might be fun day.

Malen
VE6VID

2 Likes

Do you even have to ask lol

2 Likes

I’ll be watching for your spot for another s2s!

4 Likes

And so it will be!

The newest member of SOTA-BW Ed @DD5LP will be active on DL/AM-060 as DL20SOTA/P.

Thanks Ed

73 Armin

5 Likes

I’m going to plan on being on a W5 summit. I will find a peak I can start ascending before sunrise to attempt EU contacts. I must say the war and recent losses of radio friends have put a damper on my enthusiasm, but this is probably just the event to get beyond that.

Edit: I’m afraid circumstances have necessitated that I am erecting a field fence this weekend. Unfortunate as there are a lot of EU and other stations alerted. Good luck.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to activate W0M/SF-003, a 6-pointer that hasn’t been activated in a couple of years. I hope to get in place at the very latest by 1600Z (preferrably much earlier). If the weather cooperates, I should be able to operate up there for several hours.

Hope to hear many of you on the air!

73, Jim KK0U

2 Likes

My plan is to activate SP/BZ-072.
See you on frequencies :wink:

73, Jarek

3 Likes

I might try to get out to either W4V/SH-027 or W4V/SH-016. W4V/SH-027 is the most likely candidate as I haven’t activated it this year, but they are close together, so I may do 016 after 027.

Chris

3 Likes

I will be out on my usual summit for this event - W4C/US-001 - at the crack of dawn (or before) . Please give me a shout to make sure that I am awake! :rofl:

73, pat - ki4svm

3 Likes

OK I’ve alerted for G/NP-005. It looks to have a good take off to the west and northwest. My little legs had a choice; it was either take the traditional full suit of armour in honour of our patron saint, or the FT-857. Apparently the last dragon died in the 3rd episode of the Hobbit, so I’ve opted for (the slightly lighter and more practical) 857. Hope the conditions improve from those recently! I’ll try to stay on until about 1500z (dependant as always on weather and wife).

3 Likes