Trans-Atlantic S2S - 6th November part 3

Gerald…no real clue why i didn’t hear you today.

I assume I was on 17 meters at that time…that’s where all the action was here today.

I suspect I was running about 40 watts when u were hearing me.

I did have some big QRM problems at times on one 17M frequency…but I stayed on that freq trying to fight thru it, as I had just worked a few EU s2s stations…but the QRM was really bad.

I did end up working DL4FO (twice), DL4TO, DL3TU, HB9EKO, and GM0GAV…all on summits.

Worked a few Europe home stations: DJ5AV, F5JKK, EA4R, and EA2LU.

I was also very surprised when I was called by FM/HB9BHU/P on 15 meters…but that was after all of the Europe stations had faded out.

The EU opening here was only about one hour long…1500 to 1600 roughly, and only on 17 Meters. No Europe DX on 20 Meters for some reason.

Anyhow thanks for trying…

Tnx again

Pete
WA7JTM

13 Likes

Malcolm, thank you. We almost had a S2S QSO. I heard you but failed to transmit my summit ref of G/DC-003. Sending only garbage instead. I was having finger problems with the cold. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Pete,

It must be the way your rig is set up - it filters out the morse characters for G8CXK/P when sent in that order! :grinning:

You may recall that it has happened before. This time was particularly frustrating as you were calling CQ and not handling a massive US pile up. I was running 30 watts for most of the event. It was 15:30z when I first called and the band was 17m. My last US QSO on the band was Charlie NJ7V at 16:13z, shortly followed by Fredi in Martinique at 16:18z whom I was extremely pleased to work having heard him earlier on 15m.

Like you I found virtually all of the action was on 17m. I did call Eric VA2EO several times around 16:50z on 20m, but to no avail. I was getting across the pond though as Michael NW7E and Albert N1AW both worked me on the band.

As we said last year, hopefully next time!

73, Gerald

8 Likes

Had a great time on HB/AG-012. 74 QSOs, thereof 23 S2S.
NA DX S2S: 2 x W7A, W1,W2, 2 x VE2 and FM. 4 of them were on 17m, 2 on 20m and one on 15m. In addition, I had 9 chaser contacts in NA.

I used a 20m groundplane on a 10m pole with the feedpoint 4-5m above ground, which I matched to the other bands with a tuner. I was running approx. 50W out of the FT-891.

73 Jens HB9EKO

16 Likes

It was very windy so I headed off to Newtyle Hill GM/CS-122 which has some shelter and not too far from my QTH.
I used KX2 10W and 9m vertical, I should have taken a dipole as this summit has some trees which would have been ideal for a high broadside dipole of doublet to NA. Next year perhaps.

17m was best for me, completed S2S with NJ7V, WA7JTM and FM/HB9BHU/P. Plus a good number of NA chasers, best dx NW7E. 20m only NA S2S was WB2FUV. Could not break N6AN or PY1ZB.

24 QSO and 8 x S2S not bad give the conditions earlier in the week.

73 Gavin
GM0GAV

13 Likes

I was operative from Mt Tesoro I/LO-222
I start at 13:15utc to 15:50.

My set up was kx3 and a 10.2mt vertical wire with 64:1.
I mainly worked on 20mt follow 17 and 15.

17 total qsos, 7 EU s2s, 2 transatlantic chasers.

I didn’t able to copy two stations that called me, due to a s2 noise floor and qsb.
Now, I suppose that one was FM/HB9BHU/P.

AB4PP and N1AW are the dx stations in my log.
I tried to call WB2FUV on 15mt without success.
I would have liked stay another hour on the summit but after sunshine the temperature dropped near zero degree.

Thanks at All!!
73!

14 Likes

Hello,
During the previous week I was concerned about the weather, as it has not been good at all. When I saw on Saturday there was no rain I decide to give it a go for a brief activation in EA2/NV-119.

I found a strong wind from North (very chilly!) that made the deployment of my end fed aerial a pain. Meteo data records show the wind speed during the activation was ranging 30 - 40 Km/h with gust peaking 64 (40 mph).

The place I chose to put my EFHW as a sloper from a 7m pole was not the best as I couldn’t tie the pole properly, therefore the antenna wire was all the time swinging left and right. That made the SWR in my KX3 was up and down during the transmission, and I guess, causing sudden fading in my signal; sorry to all my chasers.

I was active with these difficulties between 15:40 and 16:22 utc.
I logged 18 qso between 18 and 14 MHz CW, tnx S2S with N1AIA, N1FJ, DL3TU & EA2IF and a quick single S2S in 7 MHz with EA1AER/P (not feasible to switch on the mic for SSB with such a wind…).

It was a hard activation. My CQ calling QRG in 18 MHz was occupied twice by another stations that started calling CQ as well on top of me and I had to QSY.
I couldn’t log some others I heard, like Geo KX0R consistent in 21 MHz.

Glad to see there was a lot of S2S yesterday and looking forward better conditions next year.
73 de Ignacio

Starting the descent towards Pamplona with the last sun rays

13 Likes

As I had written in a previous post, I was unsure about activating because of the cold temperatures and the wind, but the day looked not too bad at all in Pamplona at about 0900z with rapidly moving clouds and big blue sky opennings:

So, despite the temp of about 9ºC and a cold Northerly wind, I headed to my usual Transatlantic S2S event 1 pointer summit for zero points today, as I had already activated it this year. I chose this summit because it’s only 24Km from my QTH, it’s a drive-up, it has an hermitage at the top which can be very helpful to provide shelter from the Wind and it has a good take-off towards the North-West.

I had initially alerted to start by 1300z, but right before leaving home, I realised I would probably be ready slightly later than that, so I editted my alert and changed the start time to 1330z.

My antenna setup was a vertical 10m long endfed wire to a 9:1 unun and a 5m long counterpoise wire on the ground, which I had already tested successfully a few days earlier, with my recently acquired 10m long telescopic pole by DX-wire.
Here you can see the set up seen from my operating position a few meters away from the antenna, close to the stoned wall of the hermitage, well sheltered from the cold North wind and facing South, which means I was sitting in the sunshine to help keeping me warm. From the unun to the rig, I had a length of about 14m of RG58.

The rig used was FT-817ND at 5W with MFJ-941B antenna tuner.
Paddle was Palm MP-817.
Standard hand microphone from the FT-817 with DYC-817 Speech compressor.

I calculated very well my timing because I was on air just a few minutes before my amended alert start time and my first QSO was logged at 13h28z.

I started working on 20m CW, where I logged 14 QSOs in nearly 30 minutes, 5 of which were S2S. Three were EU (IK2LEY/P, HB9CDH/P, IZ3NVR), one was USA (WB2FUV) and one was Canada (VE2DDZ). Great! that was a very good start!

I was checking SW3 where several spots were being displayed at such fast pace that it was difficult keeping on screen the ones you were interested on at a certain moment, forcing you to be constantly scrolling up and down the screen.

At 1400z, I saw a spot of Fredi FM/HB9BHU/P on 10m CW, so I immediately QSYed there and gave him a call, which was quickly copied and replied. By 1401z I had my third trans-Atlantic S2S of the day in my log.

Then, I saw Roman DL3TU/P spotted on 17m CW, so I QSYed there to bag a S2S with him, after which I moved to a clear frequency and started CQing. This brought 2 more EU S2S (HB9EVF/P and SP9MA/P). A couple of regular chasers were logged after these S2S and not having any more calls, I QSYed to SSB in order to bag a S2S with Stephan HB9EAJ/P. The partial total for this 17m band pass was 6 QSOs in 25 minutes, 4 of which were S2S with Europe.

At this point, I saw Ingo DH5ST spotted on 20m CW, so there I QSYed to bag a S2S with him. After this QSO, I found a spot for M0RWX/P on SSB and I QSYed there to bag a S2S with him. Then a spot for DL4FO/P on CW, so QSY again and another S2S in my log. After this, I found a clear frequency and started CQing, which produced 9 more QSOs in 15 minutes, 3 of which were S2S, one with M0WIV/P and the other 2 were trans-Atlantic ones with VA2EO and N1AIA.

Some time earlier I had copied very well VA2MO signals making S2S on 20m SSB with some European activator but it wasn’t his frequency and I didn’t have a chance to chase him. But after a few unresponded CQs during my 20m CW activity, I saw Eric VA2MO spotted on 17m SSB, so I QSYed there for another trans-Atlantic S2S. It wasn’t easy as Eric was copying me with a very weak signal of 22. However, I think the basic exchange was made and I logged the QSO. Despite my several repeats, Eric seemed to miss the /P at the end of my callsign EA2IF, which he copied perfectly. It looks like the rarely used /P suffix in Northamerica is something quite unexpected by them and not easily picked up on the air during an SSB QSO with low signals.

And now it came the nasty surprise which may well explain the very low signal report I received from Eric VA2MO: with my 10m long telescopic pole being constantly shaked by the wind, some of the sections had collapsed and the total length of the pole has shortened to about 2/3 or less, so quite a lengthy part of my antenna wire was forming loops while swinging between hanging down pulled by the gravity force and pushed Southbound by the wind. This clearly forced my immediate QRT in order to set things back up again. I took the pole down, layed it horizontal on the grass to pull out all the collapsed sections and re-straighten the antenna wire attached to the pole with velcro straps. When I had the pole vertical again and started tieing it to the wooden structure you can see in the picture above, I heard some of the sections collapsing again, so I had to repeat the whole procedure again. After this second procedure was completed and while I was tieing again the pole to the wooden structure, the bloody pole intermediate sections collapsed again and this was enough for me. I was tempted to call it a day and dismantle everything, but my eagerness (“ansia” in Spanish) made me forget this idea and setup my antenna as a sloper instead. The sloper bends the telescopic pole, thus applying a constant tension to it towards one direction and this prevents it from collapsing.
You can see following picture of this sloper setup.

The problem now was that in order to keep the antenna wire in the good orientation towards the North-West for NA, I could no longer operate sheltered by the hermitage stoned wall, but, fully exposed to the increasing wind from the North with the lowering Sun and the dropping temperature.

I started my operation with 2 trousers, 3 layers on my body and my SOTA whool hat. At some point I added 2 more layers to my body and one more hat to my head.
After the pole collapsing problem, when I changed setup and operating position to an exposed to the wind one, I added a 6th layer to my body, a really thick and warm one, and a 3rd hat to my head.
I was feeling warm and well protected, so I re-started my operation after nearly a 45 minutes stop with a new trans-Atlantic S2S with N1FJ on 20m CW. Then I settled on a clear frequency and started CQing, which brought 6 more QSOs in about 12 minutes. Two of these QSOs were S2S with EA2BD/P and MM0OAT.

With the Sun very low already and exposed to the cold wind with no gloves, my feet and hands were pretty cold with my fingers really numb, so I decided to QRT before it got dark and I got any colder.

Here you can see my full log with 41 QSOs, 20 S2S and 7 of these were trans-Atlantic.

You can see it on the map:

I didn’t make a single QSO on 15m. The few times I QSYed there to try some S2S I had seen spotted on SW3, I couldn’t copy anything. [edit: the exception was at the very end of the activation, when I copied George KX0R CQing and I called him for S2S without success]
I couldn’t make S2S with Gerald G8CXK/P. I saw him spotted on 17m at the beginning of my activation, but I went to the frequency, copied him once and then nothing, so I had to leave with empty hands. I’m sorry for not having had my S2S with the organiser of this fantastic event. I’m also sorry for not having made S2S with so many other activators, but there are many activators and quite little time, so I guess missing some of the activators is something we can’t avoid.

Once again, it was a great event which I enjoyed very much. Thanks to the organiser and mainly to all participants.

Guru
PS: after uploading my log to the database, I realised that all these S2S made today put me over the 5000 S2S score. I recently crossed the 50.000 chaser points. I think it’s time for me to gather the around 90 remaining activator points in order to achieve MG, i.e. 1000 points.

20 Likes

My first idea was to use the antenna that I made expressly for this event, an efhw with links for 12-15-17-20m but, swr was not good at all so, I switched to my spare 20-30-40m linked dipole with no efficient access to higher bands!

Weather was perfect, sunny and a warm 5C.

I used a small MX-P50M amplifier to boost the signal of my KX2 at 25-30W.

I ended with 8 Trans-Atlantics S2S, all in cw on 20m.

I’m looking forward for next year.
73, Éric

12 Likes

Without having prepared it, but taking advantage of the opportunity, I activated EA1/LE-279, Casas Viejas. Sorry, by my mistake I passed to everyone reference EA1/LE-249. Correct it everyone, please!
First we activated in SSB thinking about the Spanish OMs. Then we activate CW on 20 and 40 meters. The CW equipment was a SW-3B and an EFHW antenna for 40 meters, great results also on 20 meters!
As soon as I got on 20 meters CW I found a lot of European colleagues to do S2S. Thanks.
I got two QSO with North America: VA2EO and N1AIA. Thanks to both of you. Complicated by weak signals and QRM. My first transatlantic S2S!

12 Likes

Dear friends,

many thanks for all the reports and pictures of your activations, there are really some useful tips for improving my equipment!
My working conditions on DM/HE-003, “Grosser Feldberg”, near Frankfurt/Main (879m):
KX2/abt 8W / triple-leg, symmetr. feeder, WX was sunny/foggy/sometimes windy and temperatures abt. 4 degrees celsius :snowman:

Tnx @ all for the qso´s i logged from EU es NA, including 12 S2S.
There was unfortunately a disruptive signal-noise floor from commercial radio on the mountain, so until 15:00 utc i couldn´t detect any weak transcontinental S2S-Station. Not till twilight came, i logged two stations from summits (WA7JTM and KX0R) as a crowning final :smiley: before hiking down.

Bikers, passing by, asked me: what are you doing here?
I answered (truthful) that I´m a radio amateur and I´m trying to talk with my fingers to other radio-operators, who are sitting on other hills and mountains all over Europe and maybe over the ocean…
Some were astonished and impressed, some others shook one´s head in disbelief :grin:
It´s great to be a part of the grand familiy of ham-radio-operators like you all over the world!
Thanks a lot!
73, Gerhard

16 Likes

I am really sorry about that Guru. Maybe I had noted someone on SOTAwatch and moved off to look for them. I did hear you later at 16:35z calling CQ on 15m, but you were quite weak (419) and did not copy my replies. You stopped calling after a while, so that maybe was when you decided to go QRT.

As I have said many times, the idea was originally mine back in 2016, but the event organises itself. It is just setting up the dates, usually to coincide with the April QRPTTF event date and the first Saturday in November. Of course for 2020 and 2021 we only have had the November event due to covid. With the new sunspot cycle under way, hopefully it will be worthwhile holding the event next April. It will certainly be more challenging!

73, Gerald G8CXK aka G4OIG (or vice versa :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

I don’t think I called CQ on 15m. What you probably heard at that time were my unsuccessful attempts to be copied by George KX0R, who was CQing and I was copying weak but workable. Unfortunately, I seemed to be weaker and unworkable at his side :frowning:

I hope we can repeat this event next Spring.

Guru

4 Likes

I activated on a nearby hill using the TX-500 with 10W and my 7-band EFHW in inverted-L configuration, only doing SSB.

The conditions in Europe were good with strong signals, but Trans-Atlantic signals were pretty weak, apart from some QRO stations. I guess, doing CW would have helped a lot to overcome this situation!

In total I did 68 QSOs, 23 unique S2S and 2 Trans-Atlantic S2S with @WN3F and @VA2MO, both on 17m.

The weather was foggy/sunny with about 4C, but in the forrest, I hardly could see the sun, so when I went QRT at 15:30z, I didn’t feel my feet anymore :cold_face:

Thanks to the organizers and all participants for this great event!

73 Stephan

13 Likes

Yes, I checked my log and the frequency 21.063 MHz agrees with the spot for George. It seems I was perhaps hearing both of you… George calling CQ and you calling him. I must admit that after four and a half hours on the summit, my concentration was beginning to wane.

73, Gerald

4 Likes

Congratulations Guru! I’m sure you will get those 90 points soon although the winter is not the best time unless you can get time away in southern Spain. :slight_smile:

But your post got me thinking about the best strategy for an event like this. I went for a linked dipole as I hoped this would give me the best chance of being heard in NA. But I normally use a sloping wire, counterpoise and ATU. If I had chosen this instead it would have made chasing S2S contacts easier. With the dipole it is a fixed band of course unless I lower it to change the links. With a wire and ATU a band change is almost instant.

The choice is whether to find a frequency and keep calling CQ or do you chase others? I did a bit of both - not very well. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Glad to get you both for the 2 S2S.
Someone said there was another S2S trying get me on my second attempt at SW-015, I suspect it was you guys?

A gust of wind caught my antenna, yanked the cable and snapped it clean off the BNC connector so had to cut things short :slightly_frowning_face:

No transatlantic contacts for me, I needed the space in my backpack for winter gear which left no space for HF kit.

6 Likes

As I said earlier in this thread, I was late to the party and just missed the 17m opening. Local WX data I’ve just seen, shows that it would have been dangerous to venture up higher hills.

Screenshot_20211107-170054_Chrome
Cairnwell is a 3061’ (933m) summit

Came home today to see my neighbours summer house in bits. My 6m beam was still up though
:muscle:
As for my S2S action (all two of them :disappointed:), well they’re in the movie.

12 Likes

Saturday was spent making sure my daughter Brooke had the best chance in shocking WX here in the Lake District of passing her Compulsory Basic Test to allow her to ride her 50cc Aprilia that has been waiting in the garage for her to get a ticket. Happy to report that it lead to this today:

However, I did get the opportunity to setup the FT-857 and Super Antenna MP1 on guyed tripod from the car at two locations during the day, next to Arnside Knott in the morning (where Andy @G8CPZ activated in the afternoon in a very noisy, wet tent!) and from Hest Back in Morecambe Bay.

I chased SOTA activators including Guru @EA2IF, Otto @HA5OT, Jaka @S55X, Joaquin @EA2CCG and S5630KVJ/P I manage one transatlantic chase with Eric @VA2MO who had a wonderful signal.

As these are both WWFF and POTA locations I also had some very nice transatlantic contacts where 15m particularly was working wonderfully and several US POTA chasers were clearly surprised they could hear me.

Hopefully I will be fully free next year and we have better WX in the Lake District, England.

Cheers, Mark.

13 Likes

Gerald,

Looking at my log for the 1500 hour might explain why we did not work. That’s when I was on 17M and I was working all of the EU DX. Signals were very weak, stateside QRM was heavy…

Nine EU contacts in that window. Ended up working one German Station twice in all the confusion. I had a hard time picking out every station as everyone was about the same signal strength. So each contact took as long as five minutes to complete… due to weak signals and passing the calls, the reports, and the summit info (which we really need to stop doing for these events…in my opinion). We can all get that info later…calls, signal reports, and a R R R are all we actually need to send and receive for a legal contact.

Anyhow, I think that is why I never heard u, as I had a pile up of weak EU stations, all about the same signal strength, and each contact took a number of minutes to get it all correct.

Oh well…next year my friend…maybe we can set up a schedule next yr :slightly_smiling_face:

Pete
WA7JTM

6 Likes