Trans-Atlantic QSO Party - 5th November 2022 (Part 1)

i should be at VE2/ES-010 if all goes well. (6 pts) Only on 20M CW, with a 3.5w QCX-mini. i should be around 14.059, will be on SOTA alert. Cheers,

Sly

3 Likes

73 Armin

2 Likes

All being well, Iā€™ll be on DL/EW-001 Wank, next Saturday for this NA-EU/UK S2S event. Wx looks cold but dry, so I have put up an alert.

73 Ed DD5LP.

1 Like

Now forecasting strong winds and thunderstorms. If that doesnā€™t change Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll be cancelling. The only good news is that no forecast this far out is reliable over here!

Indeed, the difference in the detail between the forecasts put out by the BBC, Met Office, MWIS et al is quite remarkable. I am reviewing where Iā€™ll be going as I donā€™t fancy a 7.5km trek in the dark and wet coming off Ben Chonzie. Itā€™s probably taking it a bit too far when there are other options. More thought requiredā€¦ . :thinking:

This is for G/SP-015:

Think Iā€™ll go to the footballā€¦

1 Like

In the valley:

Probably 3 degrees colder at least on the summit.
What is the chance of this forecast being correct by next Saturday? 5%? maybeā€¦

Alerts so far:

73 Ed.

The BBC and Met Office forecasts appear to be converging somewhat which means nothing. At the moment my favoured summit is Geal-charn GM/CS-043 which is only a relatively short yomp, but 5 hours on any summit in the rain needs a decent shelter setting up.

BBC

Met Office

Note the possibility of sunshine! Looks like Tom needs to head north rather than go to a damp football match where he still might get struck by lightning. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I was going to make a ā€˜smartā€™ comment Tomā€¦ But I see youā€™re 3 pts clear with 2 matches in hand. Football sounds good! :wink:. I might go to the rugby

2 Likes

The forecast is looking poor for south west England, potentially mast breaking winds and rain. I guess I could try the SuperAntenna verical. I have chased a VE operator on it in the past on 15m. I will get out if I can but things are not promising. :frowning:

1 Like

How many times have I seen this forecast predicted a week in advance and we either end up with frostā€¦.snow or a lovely sunny day. You cannot trust a 7-day forecast in this present day and age! Itā€™s what I call bull-poop :rofl: for a better understanding of the UK wx forecast, your best bet is to open your curtains in the morning and use your :eyes:

Iā€™ll be out on Cadair Idris at 06:00 UTC Saturday morning :grinning: so hope to catch some early birds.

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

Hoping to have 50 watts or so and will likely concentrate on TEN metersā€¦but can, and will, QSY to 12-15-17-and 20 meters if neededā€¦

I expect 10M to be the best early in the morning here in Arizona.

I will be on a 10 Point 7000 ft plus peak up north, so the EU window should be goodā€¦unless we get a flare???

Mostly CW but will check spots for SSB alsoā€¦

Hope G land isnā€™;t rained out!!!

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A/CS-026

1 Like

Shooting for 1430 on the airā€¦

Pete
WA7JTM

1 Like

I hope to be on W4C/US-001, 1400-1700z. Good takeoff angle to Europe. A vert for 20m, a NW-SE wire for 17m-10m.

CU Saturday.

Andy, N4LAG

2 Likes

Hi Ben,
Itā€™s not just UK weather forecasts! Over here a favourite trick (it seems) of the forecasters is a couple of days before my planned activation is to shift the earlier forecast by one day - either out or in - whichever gives the worse weather on the activation day.
Iā€™ll only really know what the weather ā€œmightā€ be like on the day before - Friday!
At least thereā€™s a hostelry ON this summit about 50m from my activating spot if the weather suddenly turns bad.

73 Ed.

Wx Forecast for Saturday for the town in the valley below my summit has changed today (2/11) from dry to light rain (still do-able) - lets see if it changes again before the 5th!

3 Likes

Every time forecast is not how I would like wx to be, I just change the model.
Works great. :rofl:

5 Likes

If radio conditions remain the same or better 10m is worth a try. I can hear lots of NA operators calling CQ Contest on 10m SSB and Iā€™ve just had 3 quicks QSOs, the furtherest was into Boulder, Colorado.

I was scanning Sotawatch to see if anyone was trying it from a summit but didnā€™t see anyone while I was looking.

1 Like

I was hoping to get up a Black Hill GM/SS-253 local to the Galashiels rally just after lunch today with plans for 28MHz. Iā€™ve worked some really class SOTA DX on the higher HF bands from there in the past and the views are to die for.

There should have been a weather window till about 1600Z but sadly I had to help some old dude with a long white beard get his animals into a big wooden boat heā€™d built as it was just a bit wet :frowning:

IF the WX is OK for the 5th Iā€™ll be out equiped for 10m and I think Iā€™ll have a small PA with me too. Depends on the WX thoughā€¦

5 Likes

I have alerted for 20,17,15 & 10m for next Saturday - so lets hope 10m is open still ā€¦
Ed.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be qrv at 1300 on 15 & 17 CW from the Lakes region of NH. Looking forward to a fun day! dit dit

3 Likes