Tracking

Why are accesses to www.sotawatch.org being tracked by google-analytics?

I have blocked third-party tracking in my browser, but I was surprised today to see a flag informing me that I had successfully blocked a tracking attempt by www.google-analytics.com on this site.

Walt (G3NYY)

The description is

" Google Analytics is a free Web analytics service that provides statistics and basic analytical tools for search engine optimization (SEO) and marketing purposes. The service is available to anyone with a Google account."

It’s used to provide exactly what it says on the tin, who connects, from where etc. and is used to check everything is working. It’s been there for some time now…it’s not recent.

Marketing guy with Google Analytics certification here.

The tool is used to collect data about user activity on the website (how many people online, where they’re from, what they’re looking at) and produce reports. Analytics tracking services are used by virtually all websites to monitor performance and help understand what visitors like and don’t like. All collected data is anonymous or meta, it’s not tracking individuals but rather the website content. It won’t say what pages you’ve looked at on this website, but it can say what pages people from your geographical area are generally looking at.

2 Likes