Top Gun Special

I am doing some initial testing on the Top Gun Special 8.5V transceiver on 10.11600. Contacts welcome! (1615z).

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Photo added at:
Imgur

Performance at 8.5 Volts

RX current 11 mA … acceptable
TX current 56 mA (90 mW) … needs more work - was getting 450mW at 100mA before.

RX uses 2 pole crystal ladder filter on input. I am developing a better filtered AF stage.

So far I have managed one partial QSO with an HA station.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Hi Richard
I did listen for you, but no copy here. Maybe next time. Will try my Rockmite on next summit(10.116 x-tal)
Imgur

Aage

G-QRP: 12151
RU-QRP: 182

In reply to LA1ENA:

Aage

is your Rockmite exactly on 10.116?

Richard
G3CWI

Looks nice Richard. Looking forward so reports on your test.
73 de LA1KHA Kjell

In reply to LA1KHA:

The rig sounds lively. I have found the PA problem and now have 290 mW for 91mA (8.5 Volts) which is reasonable as that includes the oscillator, driver and all the RX current too. There are still a few things to sort out including a limiter for the AF output and the final AF low pass filter.

How do my current readings compare with your 30m Rockmite?

My 40m Rockmite (unmodified original) has an RX current of 12 mA and runs 255 mW at 110mA (8.5V)

Richard
G3CWI

I will be expecting a “maverick” performance from you on G/SP-013.

Tom M1EYP

The new radio is finally complete. Getting the filtering working correctly turned out to be quite a task but the end result sounds amazingly good. I hope to start my 9V battery campaign this weekend - once I get a 30m dipole made.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

My 30m dipole shrank! I converted my 40m/60m link dipole into a 30m/40m/60m version. It all checked out nicely in the garden but after a few uses it appeared to be too short on 30m! I have no idea what happened but adding two pieces of wire about 10cms long bring the match back to something nice. Pull the 30m link and attach the dangly bits and it’s ready. One day I’ll make a new one the correct length.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:
Looking forward to hear how it performs Richard, any photos?
Roger MW0IDX