Too much sun?

Hey Guys…
Whats up with you in the last day´s? The SOTA-Pileups are only a big mess.
Do you get to much sun on your heads. Cool down please.
If an activator calls for instance I1?? means not HB9…or others. Please listen…also some chaser give their call 4 or more times without listening…in this time some activator makes 2 qso´s…
Please please…listen sometimes…it will made some things faster.

Thanks and 73 de Tom
DL1DVE

In reply to DL1DVE:

You are right, Tom. It is getting worse. :frowning:

Just before I worked you this afternoon from G/SC-010, I was trying to make a nice S2S QSO with Andre, EA2/F5UKL/P. All the time, chasers were calling and calling over the top of both of us. It made things very difficult, but we succeeded in spite of the QRM.

Please, please, guys … LISTEN! The activator cannot hear you calling whilst he is transmitting!

Also, it is good manners to stand by and be silent while an S2S QSO is taking place.

Thank you, and vy 73,
Walt (G3NYY/P)

In reply to DL1DVE:
You can’t really appeal to the better nature of these kind of operators I don’t believe. I’m quite new to ham radio, but not basic good manners. New or old, some ops are so desperate to get the call in the log and move on they don’t think of others, often relying on their QRO.
I tried to work a Z3/ call yesterday but there was qrm from someone keying (is it called dead keying?). I couldn’t work the Z3 and was left wondering what the keyer would have left after the instant delight at ruining someone’s fun.
I think you just have to work through it and see it as an occupational hazard.

73, Ian.

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to DL1DVE:

You are right, Tom. It is getting worse. :frowning:

Just before I worked you this afternoon from G/SC-010, I was trying to
make a nice S2S QSO with Andre, EA2/F5UKL/P. All the time, chasers
were calling and calling over the top of both of us. It made things
very difficult, but we succeeded in spite of the QRM.

I’ve always said, CW is an overrated mode…

I’ll get me coat :wink:

73 Mike
2O0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Good!

In reply to M0TUB:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Good!

ROTFL…

73 Mike
2O0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Bait not taken.

:wink:

Walt (GO3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Bait not taken

:wink:

LOL. Worth a try though :wink:

73 Mike
2O0YYYY

In reply to MM0GYX:

Next week will be my first HF SOTA activations, and im in some ways hoping for pileups, because if i hear nothing i’ll look a right charlie in front of the missus! But this sort of bad behavour is rife. I work /m a fair bit, which makes things harder anyway, but the number of ops running quite a lot of power who just stomp over everything, dont listen at all, is unbelievable.

I do have one trick i use on special events - if you persist in QRMing, i will simply put you on a black list, and you wont get to work my station! Serious offenders will be called and told ‘QRU’, but nothing else. Hopefully the time it takes them to look it up and find its meaning makes the frequency a bit calmer!

In reply to G7MRV:

QRU? Neat!

Brian GO8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to G7MRV:

QRU? Neat!

QRY followed by a large number? :o)

In reply to G4AZS:

Hahaha!

Imaginary exchange using ham, maritime, and aviation Q-codes!

QRL?
QRY 100000000000
QRL?
QRU
QRL?
QNR!
BLX!
LID!

In reply to G7MRV:

Being an activator above all, I fully understand your experience but I don’t think it is so horrible.

On the other hand if such an “overexposed” pile-up occurs I try to like it as a challenge - how to decompose a pile of - I hope unintentionally - jamming signals and take control of it.

Sometimes it is not easy, but still better than if the band were empty. Obviously, there are no big pile-ups on higher bands.

However, I definitely agree with the listen first rule.

Karel OK2BWB

In reply to OK2BWB:

In reply to G7MRV:

but still better than if the band were
empty.

Karel OK2BWB

Yes, I have to agree. Rather a pileup with some bad ops, than dead air and struggling to get the needed four!

In a pileup, you could always ignor the QRMers and bad ops, and then go QRT before you’ve got around to them…

In reply to G7MRV:
Hi all

Please also spare a thought for qrp stations.

This past couple of weeks I have lost several contacts due to getting stomped all over by others not listening, despite the activator repeatedly asking them to stand-by in an attempt to complete the qso.

Tonight was a classic example of this poor manners when trying to work Al on G/DC-006

Not to mention tuning up, whistling and dead keying.

Liz

On my activation of Harter Fell G/LD-028 on Sunday, I made my initial CQ call. I then had to wait a very long time until several stations had finished sending their callsigns 6 or 7 times. It seemed some of them heard someone else calling as they themselves had finished, and so decided to call again. And so it cycled round!

Eventually, when they had all finished, I simply sent “PLZ CALL ONCE”. All the chasers respected this request thereafter, so it was simple for me to work everyone on frequency. It just goes to show you the difference between when the chasers are “noisy” as opposed to when they are disciplined.

After my first call, I listened to a mess on the QRG for 3 minutes and didn’t work anybody. After my request, I was able to make 27 QSOs in 17 minutes.

The answer is just call once - and you will get worked much more quickly!

Tom MO1EYP

In reply to M6EPW:

This past couple of weeks I have lost several contacts due to getting
stomped all over by others not listening, despite the activator
repeatedly asking them to stand-by in an attempt to complete the qso.

Liz

Unfortunately it appears that there are some who listen but just don’t care.
This afternoon when F5AKL and VE3EMB were on 14Mhz,a certain station came up directly on the spotted frequency and called CQ. When told repeatedly QRL SOTA he continued until someone said QRL VE3. He then repeatedly sent QRZ VE3? despite the protesting from other chasers.

This same station has done exactly the same to me on 2 separate activations. He appears to look at the SOTA spots then descend on your frequency and walk all over you with his CQ. I lost a VE and W contact that way. Funny thing was that they were replying to my callsign when he was sending them reports. The person in question has a big chaser score so he knows what he’s doing. According to his QRZ.com entry he uses a special technique to bag the DXX. From my experience his technique is what I call bullying! Anyway he’s on my blacklist now and will get the QRU response from now on :slight_smile:
It’s a shame some can’t play fairly.

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hello Mike,

Can you explain this, I’m not sure about Google’s translation

I’ve always said, CW is an overrated mode…

Alain F6ENO

Translation will not help Alain, because Mike was using ironic humour in this comment!

Tom MO1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks Tom (sri too much sun on my head…)

73 Alain