Time to reinstate the Amateur Licence fee

To prevent pirates, I think radios amateurs should be asked for proof of amateur radio when purchasing amateur radio equipment.

Jimmy M3EYP

Even on eBay, or private sales, or classified ads in magazines, or from that nice SOTAbeams man across town?

In reply to M3EYP:
Hi Jimmy, thats a good idea, but probably only viable when purchasing from a store. How would it be policed if say you wanted to buy a radio from me secondhand at a rally?

Adrian
MM0TAI

Yes, unless the person selling you amateur radio equipment is someone who knows who you are.

Jimmy M3EYP

Hi Adrian,

Maybe the person selling second hand amateur radio equipment should you for your proof of amateur radio licence when buying second hand radio at a rally.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

def Take_over_asylum():
print "Regulate me more"
print "Make me pay more tax"
print “I want to live in a police state”

while lunatics != None:
Take_over_asylum()

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G6ENU:

Unfortunately there are some amateurs who would, for financial
reasons, have to reconsider retaining their licence if the fee were
reinstated at too high a level.

And indeed, there may be some who would continue to operate on the amateur bands without any licence. Therefore, charging £50 a year for a licence could prove to be counter-productive. It could have the effect of increasing the number of pirates!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

And indeed, there may be some who would continue to operate on the amateur bands without any licence.

Perfectly true there Walt. I know of one G6 who continued to operate using his issued callsign, but only ever paid one years licence fee. He at least is operating legally again. I would have a bet he was not the only one, which is why I am always a bit sceptical about people not in the callbook, on QRZ or HamCall.

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to MM0FMF:

while lunatics != None:
Take_over_asylum()

This seems to allow for a negative quantity of lunatics. Does that imply that in crossing the zero point, the asylum would be populated with a quantity of especially sane people? Of course, “lunatics” may have been declared as unsigned, in which case !problem

Dave
M0MYA

In reply to GW7AAV:

He at least is operating legally again.

He would have had to pay his £20 to get back on the list though.

not in the callbook, on QRZ or HamCall.

I’m “witheld” in the callbook. I’m certainly not on QRZ or HamCall.
I can assure you, you have no need to be sceptical about me.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to GW7AAV:

I can assure you, you have no need to be sceptical about me.

It’s okay Andy you have been personally vouched for by someone we know and trust, mind you he is not in the callbook either. Oopps! ;0)

Have you noticed how cans of worms have a ring pull these days?

Regards Steve GW7AAV