Time for a Two Tier Scoring System?

Hi Tom,

Don’t rush. The best kept secret is that JT65 is easier than FT8. Works with weaker signals, QRP is common if not the norm. Used by gentlemen not slightly crazed DX hunters. Gives you time to think before you punch a key. Is not automatic in any way. It’s a mature mode and the forums for it are not besieged by users wanting the buttons changed.

What is there not to like? Ok there’s the interface and the screen with uP etc. and the need to put your head in a light attenuating bag to read the screen if the sun is out…

Ron
VK3AFW

So…It’s an elegant mode for a more civilized qso?

I’ll see myself out

2 Likes

Personally, I find all technological advances in amateur radio exciting. It’s another tool in the bag, and I would never not want that, even if I didn’t use it myself (as is the case with the JT modes). However, when it comes to reducing the CW section on a band based on (in some people’s opinion) flawed RBN data, that’s another matter.
de OE6FEG
Matt

Just one mode used on today’s (yesterday’s) activation of The Cloud G/SP-015 - trusty old CW - though I’m not sure which side of the fence it lands on in terms of the proposed “Two Tier Scoring System”.

On this experience, probably should be lumped into the Breathtaking Simplicity Section along with FT8 and the like. I had extremely limited time due to needing to be in Liverpool for 4pm (soundcheck at the Epstein Theatre) - so 14 QSOs in 12 minutes was just the ticket. This included two S2S - HB9BCB/P on HB/BE-156 and HB9DBM/P on HB/SO-019 - and two contacts from across the pond - NE4TN and VE1WT.

I’m gigging Saturday and Sunday as well, so won’t be able to manage a worthwhile entry in the 2m CW Marconi event - not even in the 6 hours section - but I’m going to try to shoehorn a couple of activations in if possible - maybe 1400-1430 on Saturday, and 1000-1300 on Sunday.

Hi John,

You nailed it.

Cheers
Ron
VK3AFW

Hi Matt,

I don’t think it will be a problem. Here is my reasoning.

FT8 requires only 2 kHz per band at present. One SSB channel or a max of 10 CW channels, most likely only 6 depending on the ear and filter of the ops. I’m thinking 200 Hz for each CW QSO. If that 2 kHz for FT8 is doubled to accommodate future users it won’t be a calamity for any existing band users as it’s not a big slice and the new users of FT8 will be vacating part of the band they previously used. On FT8 they only need 50 Hz so may take up a lot less space than they were using.

It might even reduce QRM on CW and SSB.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi Ron,
the JT and FT modes are very efficient, of course. But here in region one we have already lost 10KHz from 30m, a very important DX band, among others. This decision was based on RBN data showing fewer people calling CQ on 30m, and more people using data. So we have already lost bandwidth to data modes. I don’t see why that trend will not continue as fewer people learn Morse and more people turn to data. If FT8 is super efficient, perhaps the RTTY users wouldn’t mind bunching up a bit, instead of us?
de OE6FEG

Guys, we already have an FT8 thread, it would be more efficient if discussions about the use of FT8 were confined to the older thread and this thread returns to silly season topics or goes QRT.

Saturday 4th November 2017

A very tight window for me today. The 2m CW “Marconi” event didn’t start until 1400z - but I would have to go QRT at 1500z in order to make soundcheck at the Plaza Theatre in Stockport. Still, that would at least give me a bit of a start in the 6 hour section - and see how many more hours I could make up on Sunday morning - ahead of another gig in Blackpool!

Ten QSOs made, including three into France. Some DLs heard too - but the didn’t hear me. Probably more chance tomorrow when they’re more likely to be beaming this way.

Sunday 5th November 2017

I had a bit more time available on the Sunday morning, but it was still pretty slow going. 16 contacts were made on 2m CW, including one into GM, another couple into France, and one into PA.

I was able to hear three DL stations calling CQ TEST - DK9DQ, DR1A and DL0LN (from memory, didn’t write them down), the latter being very strong. However, I didn’t manage to attract the attention of any of them.

My last contact - SN 026 for the weekend event - was G0MCV @ 1201. This was one minute after my intended QRT time - but you know how addictive this stuff is! I then “had a word with myself” and packed up before going for another nosey up and down the band! Work beckoned…

Monday 6th November 2017

An hour or so to play with in-between a dental check-up, and some private tutoring in Stoke. Only one option…!

I didn’t proceed all the way to the summit. TBH, I’ve been getting a bit fed up of the constant questions recently when I’m activating in the summit area, and even more bored of my own repetitive and formulaic responses! Don’t get me wrong - I welcome the opportunity, indeed duty, to enthuse and present amateur radio - and SOTA - in a good light to the general public - but sometimes I just want to get on with some operating.

So with it being fairly mild and little or no breeze, I went over to the grassy patch near the cliff edge, on the right before the final pull up to the summit. It’s in the activation zone, about 15m lower than the summit itself. It’s a quiet spot; no-one ever comes over here! Occasionally walkers will wave at me, but usually I just get ignored!

Anyway, 20m GP antenna, FT-817, 5 watts etc etc etc:

20m CW: 12 QSOs, including S2S with EA8/G4ONL/P on EA8/FU-031, & 5 NA contacts.
20m SSB: 1 QSO
20m JT65: No success today.
2m FM: 2 QSOs - which unusually were not Pete and Anne in Heald Green!