Tick time

Got my first tick of the season today… went for a walk up Wychbury Hill (nearest local semi-urban pimple) to get my permitted daily exercise and when I got back found I’d collected the unwelcome passenger attached firmly to my right wrist. Really surprised as I’d not encountered the sort of countryside you associate with the little blighters.

So look out…

73 de Paul G4MD

1 Like

Are you sure it hasn’t been hiding up your sleeve since Mull 2016? :grinning:

2 Likes

I live in what the local vet calls ‘Tick Central’. A week after moving here [south Cumbria] last Spring our cats and dogs were covering in ticks. We took ten(!) off one cat. Since then the cats and dogs have been on Bravecto and the ticks drop dead before they bite them. Pity we humans aren’t allowed to use it - last summer I found one head down on my belly and another on my thigh. Spoke to an old fella [older than me that is] on Arnside Knott (G/LD-058) who’s recovering from Lyme disease and he picked it up locally. Scary.

Doubt it - you know how irresistible my blood is to the little devils - it would have succumbed to the temptation long since :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It certainly is. Unfortunately I’m like a magnet for them, when I go out where there’s an expectation of encountering them I cover up and use repellent (Smidge or Skin so Soft) though this isn’t always 100% effective :frowning:

Today when not on roads I was generally walking on paths across meadows or in open woodland, so never even suspected there was a tick risk.

Wasn’t the score 16 to 1? Mull is the only place I’ve ever picked one up, though I did see one on my trousers on the way up Ord Ban GM/ES-074. All those summits activated with the potential for picking up ticks. Obviously I am bad blood as far as they are concerned or perhaps the midges have the sole right to me. :rofl:

Ticks are already out here in Colorado. The local ones I’ve found are near Estes Park, below about 8500 elevation, on the sunny south slopes. The snowy areas don’t seem to have any active ticks yet.

Wearing gaiters and long pants makes it easier to spot them.

George
KX0R

Ticks were pretty common when I lived in Co. Cork, Eire, but I rarely had one or more at a time attach themselves to me.

That was until I was out running one day and decided to cross very a small wet patch of meadow with lots of tall rushes in it. I was bare legged and knew I’d pick up a tick or two and wanted to see how they attached and moved about.

Blimey!! I looked at my legs and the little buggers were literally scuttling up my legs quite quickly. It was harder to brush them off than I thought. I managed to brush around 28 off my legs. I couldn’t believe how fast they could move!

Tick… Leech… Wasp… Bee… Horsefly… Fly… Time! For this reason I don`t like Spring/Summer

1 Like