The Pyjama Game?

In reply to MM0FMF:

Likewise Andy,

I never venture anywhere in LD without a map and compass when going out onto the fells - not even familiar ones. Up until last year I didn’t even own a GPS ! The main reason for purchasing that was to log tracks.

I still reach for the map first ahead of a quick glance at the GPS if I need to.

Maps can tell you a great deal of information too that you cannot gain from a GPS or phone (assuming you have a signal) unless you buy one of the more expensive types of GPS.

Even then, as with any electronic device, they can stop working for whatever reason at any time.

Not sure if you have encountered this problem when in Scotland, but in certain areas of the Lakes, a map is your best friend ! Certain rocky areas cause compasses to spin and I have even had one occasion above Honister where the compass whent totally crazy and GPS really struggle to sort itself out until moving a few feet away from one groups of rocks.

I hate seeing people out thinking they are on a little “country stroll” with no regard for the terrain or how quickly the weather can turn and close in, dressed in “fashion clothes” etc. with no idea of where they are going or any means to guide them, or as Brian has mentioned, got the “kit” but have no idea how to use it.

Too many people go to places here in LD that think “It’s ok, I can still see the car” or “how can I miss the path when it is so clear to follow ?”. They would be serious trouble at the slightest weather change resulting in poor visibilty etc. and have absolutely no idea of how to take an emergency route off of the fells if a storm blows in.

Only last week, Richard, G1JTD had to go out of his way to guide a group of walkers onto Swirl How that had become disorientated in cloud and struggle to find their way from Great Carrs. I presume they were heading for Coniston.

Sadly, I don’t think you will ever get the message across to some people, just as with drink driving, there will always be the few.

Liz.

In reply to G3XQE:

“Many thanks for all the Belgian and German summits last week.”

You`re welcome Ken - all logs now entered after a marathon effort (at work!)

In reply to G1INK:
Hello Steve thanks for al the summits and the S2S I would like to ask you somethink I will email you about it if thats all right with you.

Ricky
MW6GWR

In reply to MW6GWR:

callsign at aol.com