The magnet effect

Hi Guru,
Yes my Friend I saw your spot on 28.024 and said let me try to get him! I called a few times but could not hear you! Yes I was the BAD GUY then I called CQ to see if I got anywhere and only Hit “WZ7I” and I Thought I was getting out West,but when I looked up his call he is only in PA.
I have been watching the RBN and everytime I see your call I try to hear if you can reach NJ.
I think staying in the shack too much is making me CRAZY Hi Hi
I read about Hanlon’s Razor very interesting!
So calm down Guru Take Lucho for a long walk!
I think we have too much information, in the old days you just tuned up and down the band looking for a CQ,
no RBN back then! But I guess it would take a long time to do SOTA with out the Web!
73,Gary

1 Like

Hi Gary,
I was pretty sure you had seen this thread and you called CQ on the frequency where I had been recently spotted hoping for a QSO with me. I had started CQing with my inverted vee multiband dipole, but I switched to my 4 elements yagi beaming to North-America when I saw you spotted on 28.024
Unfortunately I didn’t copy a beep from you nor anybody from accross the Pond.
What a shame…
Thanks for mentioning that you read about Hanlon’s Razor. Honestly I had not payed much attention to that when Paul G4MD mentionned it in his post, as I assumed he was talking about something or someone known locally in the British culture.
Now I’ve read a bit about it and I think I had never heard about that idea before.
Well, let’s hope a good openning on 10m will happen soon making possible some EA-US QSOs.

Guru

And here is the magnet effect at play again today:
I was first spotted on 28.018 at 16h48.
Then again at 16h51 (twice)
At 16h54, just 3 minutes after these 2 last spots, we’ve got a German station CQing on the very same frequency.

imagen

Guru

Hi Guru,

Sometimes is even worse = somebody start to send CQ on the same frq that I call.
I never worry about it - within 1…2 minutes my chasers will tell him what is going on and he will QSY.

73, Jarek

1 Like

Hi Guru,
would it be possible that a lot of people don’t touch the VFO knob anymore, but jump from spot to spot in the band map?
Then, when they find an apparently deserted frequency, they start calling CQ. This would explain why other stations start calling on exactly “our” frequency that often. Not bad intention, but mindlessness.

What can we learn from this to avoid making the same mistake? Even if you don’t hear anything on a frequency, it can be worthwhile looking at the band map (if available) before calling CQ to see if anyone else has called CQ here recently. In case of an activation it might help to check the last spots on SOTAwatch before going on air.

73, Roman

1 Like

Exactly, Roman, that’s my perception and conclusion as well. Many people just clic on spots and they jump from one frequency to other. Skip often don’t let us hear others, so before starting to call CQ, it is convenient to have a look to RBB spots to see what frequencies are currently in use by other stations CQing, as we all know or should know that not copying someone or copying him very weak on a frequency and thus starting ourselves to call CQ there, doesn’t mean that other potential DX would not copy both CQs, one on top of the other, thus understanding nothing or too little and then deciding not to answer to any.
I’d wish everyone would do this…

Guru

1 Like

I had a chaser come back to me recently at over 450hz away from my QRG. It could be that some people think they are further away from you than they really are.
73 Matt

Hi Matt,
That’s quite a lot. Perhaps he used the RIT before to tune some off frequency signal and he later forgot switching it off when he went to your frequency and tried to chase you.
In my last activation, I selfspotted and started CQing on 40m SSB. The first chaser seemed to be calling me off frequency and then I quickly realised it was my fault, as I was on USB while my chaser was correctly calling me on LSB.
Many things can happen…

Guru

1 Like

Hi Guru,

I thought about this problem when you first posted about it. I have observed the same a few times. I think one problem that all home stations work with is high noise levels. If they find a frequency that seems to be quiet they think that’s a good place to call CQ. This may be a combination of skip zones, local noise and your power level. It is the bane of the QRP operator’s life, usually using a QRP frequency area does help with it. But in contests you find the contest traffic escapes the lower end of 20m and drifts up to the 144060-65 area, normally treated as QRP territory. The EU contesters rarely hear me so I don’t bother to call them often. Signal and qrm levels in EU are difficult to break through from VK.

I’m not sure about it being deliberate. I think it’s more that there are quiet parts of the band and they choose them without considering qrp stations.

The only solution is to move, qsy.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like