The Cloud Pedestrian Mobile

Been playing around last couple of weeks with a shopping trolley mobile set up, i have now done away with the wheels and using an alloy framed rucksack i walked to the summit SP-015 playing on HF!

I was giving the wrong summit for some reason? I think it was down to Tom (M1EYP)confusing me with numbers but thanks to Richard (G3CWI) i stood corrected…quite literally!

M0GIA Pedestrian Mobile - YouTube Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

I did see you spotted & had a listen, but could only hear the stations you were working, unfortunately. I have worked a pedestrian mobile station on 80M who usually operates from the beach at Blackpool using a trolley & a kite antenna, although that may not be practical on a summit where there are tress :wink:

Well done for giving it go :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to M0GIA:

Nice one! What antenna are you using?

A suggestion for the trolley set up: How about a golf trolley? Wider wheels which would make it usable on some summits and give the possibility of a much bigger battery for QRO or longer activations. Also makes the set up usable on the beach get close to that salt water for the DX.

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:
The antenna was a 22ft SOTA pole with a 1/4 wave vertical and a 1/4 wave counterpoise mostly vertical with a few ft trailing behind me on the ground. I opted to use a Z100 ATU to correct any mismatch, i found it not as bad as i thought having such a thing strapped to my back.

I played around with the weight distrubution a few days ago and found a SLAB low down in the ruck sack helped to stop the antenna pulling the ruck sack away from my waist.

Will be doing this one again as the fun factor was so good! You have to be careful of over head wires and of course trees.

Not in any rush for trying QRO on a trolley but you never know? An old pram with a car battery could be fun. Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:
As and where safe to do so i will be operating /PM HF on my Int. SOTA Weekend activations at least on the final approach to the summits.

Once on summit the HF backpack sets up as a portable station where i will be heard as /P. Sean M0GIA

Your little plan is looking good Sean, with 111 alerts on now for International SOTA Weekend. I expect reality will well exceed that as well.

I’ve never heard of “/PM”. Obviously I’ve heard of “pedestrian mobile”, but thought that the callsign would be simply appended “/M” in such a case. Beware the police - the band police, the SOTA police and the Database police - if you really are going to be “M0GIA/PM” hi!

Unless you mean that your leadership success in orchestrating International SOTA Weekend has made you believe that you have a chance of being the PM - Prime Minister in the next term of government. Probably more of a chance than the current incumbent anyway!

See you in the morning.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Legally, you don’t actually need to use anything anymore…

Most people seem to use /P when they are at an alternative location and /M when they are moving and transmitting. Although the good old /A does get a mention again after dissapearing from the regs for a number of years.