Thanks Frank

I just wanted to say thanks to Frank RMD for my first Irish SOTA today. For various reasons I have never been able to chase an Irish summit succesfully until this afternoon and Frank on MM-004. It was the first time I have had opportunity to use 5megs into Ireland so that may explain it. (Of course for 5megs it had to be northern Ireland.)
On other recent activations from Ireland, 80mts seems to have been the best band for most of the UK but hopeless for me. The frequency most choose for 80mts activations is 3.666. Sadly it is really be-devilled (ha ha) by a strong carrier at my qth. DSP can help but only if the signal is strong enough.
Thanks Frank!
Q GW3BV

In reply to GW3BV:
I often get that carrier, too, it was strong yesterday pm for a while.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
That must have been the one that I thought was trying to jam me when calling from G/SC-008 on 3.666 yesterday afternoon around 1430 UTC.

Although it was going on an off after my calls so I assumed it was a “rascal”.

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to GW3BV:

DSP can help but only if the signal is strong enough.

Thanks Frank!

Q GW3BV

I can’t help sorry, hi.

I get the same carrier also Quinten and very strong at times.

73 Mike

Ha, ha! I have a feeling you probably could help you know Mike!
Good to know I’m not the only one with the problem on 80mts. My aerial is poor for 80mts so the slightest thing causes problems.
C’est la vie.
Congratulations on SS Mike!
Q

In reply to GW3BV:

My 80m ant is my 60m dipole through my tuner, so can’t compete with the big boys, but I do ok. That makes the carrier even worse for me.

Thanks for the congrats Q.

73 Mike

In reply to GW3BV:

I know that most favour 3.666 and a few prefer around 3.725, and what bothers me about this is that with solid-state rigs a dipole cut for one of these frequencies would be a bit marginal for the other - more so if loading coils or traps are used and less so if a tuner is carried. Any frequency might get parasites but the 3.666 carrier is often there when the channel is not in use (and with deep qsb suggesting it is not local) so how about considering a SOTA channel a bit closer to 3700?

Just a thought…

Brian G8ADD