Tarrens tomorrow

Another couple of uniques will be crossed off tomorrow, all being well. I have been digging around for information about routes for this pair, but little has surfaced. In the back of my mind, I can think of Gerald G4OIG doing these. But I can’t find the report, just a reference to it in another report. I also recall Richard G3CWI doing these as a non-radio walk with his son - but in a relatively recent thread he is to be found asking for information about the traverse… Maybe it will all come back to him tomorrow!

Anyway … I am currently assuming that the plan will be something along the lines of walking south from Abergynolwyn to the saddle, turning east to ascend NW-033, then the traverse back over the saddle and up to NW-036. Back to the saddle again, and back to Abergynolwyn. Richard’s TomTom POI file and Jane the Satnav may have a different plan in the morning, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me anything about this pair of relatively rarely activated hills?

In the absence of Spotlite or SMS Spot Bot tomorrow, don’t forget to periodically monitor 14.013MHz CW (or thereabouts) - many thanks!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

SMS spotbot is working again Tom as Spotlite has returned. I gave it a quick test when Spotlite returned (yesterday, Friday??) and it worked like a dream.

Fingers crossed you should be ok to use either tomorrow.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

My log shows I worked Frank (GW3RMD/P) on NW-033 back in November 2007, but I’ve not worked NW-036. I guess I missed it and will probably miss it again tomorrow.

Stewart G0LGS

Thanks Andy, I really ought to concentrate on the progress a little harder :wink:

Stewart, will you not be around? The summit will be activated by three ops on 20m CW, 40m CW and 2m FM - with a possibility of 2m SSB. It’s there if you want it! But maybe the HF will skip over you and the VHF FM will not reach you - hence your point. We can make a special effort to do 2m SSB (or another combo that would be good for you) if NW-036 is on your “Most Wanted” list.

Cheers, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

My earlier traverse involved walking across Tarrenhendre N-S as a linear walk. I have not done the walk between them (yet).

Richard
G3CWI

Tom,

Although GW/NW-036 is one of about 20 on my NW wanted, I will most likely miss it today as I have other things arranged and will not be able to get to the radio.

Stewart

In reply to G0LGS:

You didn’t miss them after all!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I was sure Tom & Jimmy were meant to be elsewhere and not on Cyrn-y-Brain with you. But what a fun day I had (wx excepted) playing with one of your Sotabeams 2/70 antennas Richard. I was pleased as punch to work Gerald on Dent on 432.222MHz. The path looked workable and it was… Gerald gave me 5/9+++++ and I only ran 1W. Working you, Jimmy and Tom on NW-043, my old contesting site, on 2m SSB was nice but having a good 2way 2m SSB contact with Don G0RQL was the icing on an already delightful cake.

I might have to do this VHF lark more often!

Andy
MM0FMF

EDIT: SS-049 to G0RQL: 522kms, SS-049 to NW-043: 280kms

In reply to MM0FMF:

I might have to do this VHF lark more often!

Now you see why I think it’s fun …

(still furiously soldering SMD components into my all-powerful 500mW 23cm linear …)

John GM8OTI

Tom and Jimmy were indeed meant to be elsewhere, and so was Richard. At 6.30am on Sunday 25th April 2010, the three of us set off for a long excursion to Tarrenhendre GW/NW-036 and Tarren y Gesail GW/NW-033. It was as we closed in on Lymm Truck Stop that I realised with horror that I had left mine and Jimmy’s walking boots, freshly cleaned and reproofed, in two carrier bags in the hallway back at home.

The option of driving back to Macc was soon discounted, as Richard felt that the day was far too long to be adding an extra hour’s driving. We settled on a day out on the Ponderosa pair of Moel y Gamelin GW/NW-042 and Cyrn-y-Brain GW/NW-032 - a day that doesn’t necessarily fill one with excited anticipation, but never fails to satisfy. Furthermore, both with paths that could be comfortably managed in trainers with a subsequent change into clean footwear for the drive home being most unlikely. And the cafe!

After polishing off our fry-ups at Lymm, Richard continued the driving westwards on the M56, and eventually on the A542 Horseshoe Pass. We gained permission to park on the cafe side given the promise that we would be returning for lunch, and set off on the ascent of Moel y Gamelin GW/NW-042. The initial pull up to Moel y Faen is always a good way to warm up, and the rest of the day is a stroll in the park after that.

Arriving on summit, we arranged ourselves at various operating points around and below the raised top. Richard GW3CWI/P was on 40m CW using his RSA vertical, Jimmy MW3EYP/P did 2m FM with the SOTA Beam, while I (MW1EYP/P) opted for 20m CW from the Magic Moggy. My pile-up was huge which ironically slowed the QSO rate down; it seemed several alligators were in no mood to be patient! It was a pleasing and enjoyable 28 contacts in short order nonetheless. Jimmy was pleased with his first AM2AM QSO with Roger MW0IDX!

The descent to Ponderosa was something of a farce as some unpleasant rain showers came in, only to cease just as we had added waterproofs. I was carrying Baxter’s carrot & coriander soup which was delicious, but the rules of these two summits are that you have to take lunch at the Ponderosa. So we did, and it was excellent - homemade steak & kidney pie with chips, peas and gravy, accompanied by a big cup of Irn Bru in my case.

Refuelled and refreshed, we set about the relatively easy ascent to Cyrn-y-Brain GW/NW-043. Working conditions for the three of us were identical to Moel y Gamelin GW/NW-042 earlier, but only I got away trouble free. Jimmy on 2m FM suffered poor signals sent and received, due to desensing. Richard on 40m CW with the vertical aerial (RSA) failed to make a single contact due to the hash from the nearby transmitters making it impossible for him to hear any incoming signals.

I had no problem at all on 20m CW, and worked through a few stations - EA was a pleasing one - though not as many as earlier. I concluded my own activation and took the 817 over to Jimmy’s operating position by the SOTA Beam. The aerial was flipped to horizontal polarisation and the rig switched to 2m SSB, and then everyone lived happily ever after. S2S contacts with Andy MM0FMF/P on Culter Fell GM/SS-049 and Gerald G4OIG/P on Dent G/LD-045 were made before I had a rare (these days) dabble on 2m FM. Jimmy’s QSO with Andy was his second AM2AM of the day, prompting Richard to propose a new award stream in the SOTA programme.

By now, the weather was stunning on summit - wide bright sunshine, dry and blue sky. We did have 20 minutes of very heavy rain - but that just happened to be within the 30 minutes we were inside the Ponderosa having lunch!

Following descent, we drove to The Moors pub a short distance away and enjoyed a couple of post-match beverages. A nice day out - thanks to Richard for the driving (and sorry for forcing the planning alterations by forgetting the walking boots…).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
OK I’ll bite… what’s an RSA vertical?

Does it automatically encrypt signals? (sorry… an in joke for any remote working corporate network users)

…or maybe it’s manufactured somewhere way south of the equator soon to be immersed in all things football?

Anyway at least you and Jimmy now share your habits with a certain Joe Jackson. Were you wearing white sox?

Sounds like it was a fun day out with plenty of grub… nice.

73 Marc G0AZS

OK I’ll bite… what’s an RSA vertical?

I’d better let Richard explain - he made it, and named it.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

RSA = Really Small Antenna. I was simply doing a test to confirm my long-held view that short loaded verticals are a poor choice for 40m SOTA operation. The results were mediocre, as I expected.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Hmm. In that case I bet it is really a rather more robust acronym! :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I bet it is really a rather more robust acronym!

Rubbish Small Antenna?

In reply to M1EYP:

I was pleased to work the Cyrn-y-Brain team on Sunday. Huge signals from you - pity you weren’t on your intended summit(s). We all forget something from time to time. It’s just a shame it was when you had arranged to do some summits that really require what you have left behind.

I see what Jimmy means about my Tarrens report on the reflector - it has disappeared, gone, deceased…
It wasn’t my doing, honest guv! I’ll email you over a copy and the associated itinerary for future reference.

73, Gerald

Photos etc from this outing are now on http://tomread.co.uk

Also photos from Norbeck Rally and Billinge Hill SP-017.

Tom M1EYP