Tarp / ground sheet? (hiking/camping experts?)

looks like they pack some amazing gear but unfortunately they are in the US and they are expensive for the occasional use Ill do.

1 Like

Just found this -

73, Colin

yes this looks really good fro the ground!!

I use a 3x3m tarp from DD Hammocks. It’s waterproofed polyester has 19 attachment points and can be configured numerous ways and weighs in around 800g. I only take it with me if I’m planning a longish activation, otherwise I always carry a bothy bag. I’ve attached a couple of photos of the type of shelter I usually build with the tarp. You need I tarp, 8 tent pegs and a walking pole.

73, John

2 Likes

wow! nice “origami”!

Ill check it!

For lightweight Tarps for shelters, look for Cuban Fiber or Silnylon, both are lightweight. Cuban Fiber is more expensive, this is the material that is used to make sails and is waterproof, I find that in a rainstorm it feels as you are in a drum. Silnylon is just that silicone impregnated nylon. It is also waterproof, lightweight and cheaper than Cuban Fiber. I have used Tyvek as a lightweight ground cloth when sleeping under the stars. Being from the States, I cannot give you any ideas where to find cuban fiber or silnylon in the UK. For Hiking poles, look for a set that is adjustable and has a comfortable grip.

Scott KG7ZWM

I think the dd hammocks above are made with Silnylon. It looked reasonable.
C.fiber is indeed amaizing but hand to find in the uk and very expensive for a beginner.

I use a shelter sold for beach use but I find it makes a blistering hot activation into a pleasure. I use a small tarp for ground protection. Here’s a photo. Sun shelter IL-003 | IMGP1966 | Andrew Davis | Flickr
It folds up into a small bundle I can attach to my backpack.
No wet weather protection but a lot better than nothing. Rated spf 30. We get a bit worried by sun exposure here.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Colin, I’m curious …what are the 4-LEDs on the front side panel for?
Cheers, Steve/wGOAT

Hi Steve,

The four LEDs comprise a battery voltage monitor I believe. I built the rig as stock, it was subsequently modded.

73, Colin

NA friends! Im having trouble converting mil to the thickness I see in the uk ebay site!
I need your help.

It says that he used 0.003in thickness which he generally calls 300 mil (not the European mm)
Then down in the comments people saying that 300mm is good (not mil just mm).

Uk sizes use mu, micron or gauges.
Im a bit confused as going from US Mil to mm or micron you get quite larger values.

Hi

An American mil (known as a “thou” in the UK, pronounced as in “thousand”) is 1/1000 of an inch which is 0.0254mm or 25.4 microns (mu)

0.003" = 3 mil = 300 gauge = 0.0762mm = 76.2 microns

Hope that helps!

73 de Paul G4MD

Oooh that thin!! Thanks a lot!! I waslooking at 250micron on ebay! Gigantic!

I have a one more question for the DIYes!

Now that we have the correct conversion! isnt 3mil/300gauge a bit thin for a tarp? In a way I want to double check with one of you that the original post was correct in the mils.