Talk me out of a KX2 and Keep my 817

It would be interesting to know what fraction of KX2 owners operate using an internal battery [I’m not proposing a survey so we’ll probably never know].

As my precious KX2 is the most expensive bit of radio kit I’ve ever bought or likely to buy [technically it was a very early birthday present], I’ve never liked the idea of regularly removing and inserting a battery and have always used an external [Tracer] 4AH LiPo, which gives me 12W CW [on lower bands], long inter-recharge period and peace of mind about my favourite radio. The space taken by the LiPo is nothing much.

3 Likes

I do exclusively and not sure I have ever used an external battery in the field over 100s of activations with it.

Part of the KX2’s attraction is its compactness and no need to hang tons of other things of off it to get up and running.

Case in point, albeit a little different were my attempts to try 2m SSB in the UK and using my KX3 an internal 2m transversely and an external 35w amp. A jumble of boxes and wires that I “hated” assembling on a peak such that I swapped all that out for an 857D on future attempts (did manage something like 300+ mile SSB which I was chuffed with).

Paul

1 Like

If it’s just a single activation, then I go with the internal battery. If it’s two or more summits in a day, then I carry my LiFePo. That said, I went for a whole week activating at 3W with the internal battery and still got plenty of contacts.

I mostly use the internal battery, but will use my LifePo battery if I’m going on a weekend camping trip or another trip where keeping batteries charged will be challenging.

It’s not unusual for me to pack the radio in my bike’s handlebar bag (Revelate Designs Mountain Feedbag) along with my earbud/mic and a simple wire antenna. I’ll bike out to some point, take a break and play radio for a bit, then ride back. If I had to pack an external battery, that wouldn’t be possible (small bag).

Chris

i always use the internal battery. At home I charge it with the IMAX B6 and after activation with 10W out I have to recharge approx. 1000mA. So there is enough left for 1-2 activations.

73 Chris

My 3.7 cents worth on this subject…I purchased my FT817 in 2002 for around $750. Used it initially for VHF portable for Field day but mostly it was used initially for June VHF contests and pre-SOTA VHF hikes. Also used it for other portable HF contests a bit.

Had to replace the speaker once (I am hard of hearing in my old age), and also bypassed the DC connector (it was easier than actually replacing it, and won’t ever wear out I figure). I fixed the power plug problem by wiring directly to the PCB board, eliminating the internal plug. I use an external LIPO battery to power the radio…rarely use the internal AA battery option (emergency use only…"Dang! I forgot the LIPO!).

I’ve dropped it, stepped on it, rained on it, frozen it on hilltops in the winter, and baked it in 115 degree heat on many a desert summit. This radio is a TANK.

I logged around 3300 QSO’s from when I bought it in 2002 until I became SOTA active in 2013.

Since SOTA I have made around 17,000 QSO’s with it from SOTA summits (5 watts or less) with a home brew Link-Dipole on a 13 ft mast. I’ve made over 300 non North America contacts with it including many s2s contacts into VK, ZL, and Europe. I pack light, so the radio weight never has been a problem for me, even on 15 mile hikes.

So…at least 20,300 QSO’s divided into $750 is about 3.7 cents per QSO, not counting any battery costs over the years, and the speaker replacement cost Seven dollars.

Hard to believe I will ever own a radio as inexpensive, tough or as long lasting as my old 817…

The FT817 may not be for everyone, but it sure fits the bill for me…which I figure is the bottom line.

The only real question in my mind it who is going to die first? The 817…or me…we shall see.

c u from the peaks!

Pete
WA7JTM

18 Likes

Hi Andy,
On the KX2, I Always use an external battery of slightly higher voltage, because:

1. A bit more power out. 2. much easier to charge. 3. The internal battery is a backup, and adds capacity for longer outings. I charge the internal battery every several months
    Best, Ken K6HPX
1 Like

I had an internal battery, never used it for 6 months so I sold it to a local. External power for me, mostly 4 cell LiPo now that conditions are getting better. For over 3 years I used an amp with my KX2 and a 5000mah 3 cell LiPo for power for both,

Malen
VE6VID

1 Like

I sold my KX3 and bought another FT-817ND.

9 Likes

Hi Mark,
where is the button for multilike?

Tell you what Mark - if AJ2I was paying for our time in writing out our thoughts on the KX2 V FT-817 on this reflector… We could club together all the money and you could buy that KX3 back!

73 Phil

Why-ever did you do that?
Rod

4 Likes

The “Portable Zero” rail kit with fold up stand is a great addition. I hook my pointer or middle finger around the front “rail” that protects the knobs and use my thumb to power on, tune and access the A,B,C buttons. The fact that the PZ rail kit changed the ergonomics of the FT81x was a pleasant surprise.

I activated a summit in Utah today with a 40mph Utah wind driven powder snow, blasting me and the radio. I love my FT818!

Erik

1 Like

I have never used a KX2. However, one advantage of FT-817/818 not mentioned is that it can easily be operated hanging round your neck inside a heavy jacket. I have made use of this feature in especially foul weather (e.g. horizontal rain). I can keep the 817 round my neck, inside my jacket which is unzipped just enough to see and operate the controls. It also allows you to easily operate standing or walking about. The one thing I always curse about when using the 817 is the RF gain not automatically switching to squelch when I go from CW/SSB to FM (memory option 45 is one I will never forget :grinning:).

3 Likes

Steve, that surprises me because I sometimes operate my FT817 from a large pocket in my daysack [see photo] and find changing settings [on the 817 knobs or buttons] quite fiddly compared to the 817 in a clear space.

I even use the mic up/down buttons to change frequencies/modes programmed into the 817 memories. I would think changing the RIT/clarifier [for example] quite difficult inside your heavy jacket.

3 Likes

The Lake District fish aren’t rising today Rod!

Correct - I took the top cover off and clearly my recollection was wrong. It is indeed a steel sheet and is pretty strong, I must have been thinking of another radio entirely.

Re reading glasses mentioned above, I use mine whenever using either radio, if I want to see stuff and log the contacts, which is always. So I don’t need to put them on to read the screen, they are already on.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

I’ll bite @G4OBK - it’s a complicated answer Rod, and down to circumstances at the time. I came from using an FT-857 quite a lot to the KX3 and found it frustrating as I was back to QRP, well at the limit of QRP, with an excellent receiver.

However, I didn’t like the loudness of the speaker, and I just can’t get on with headphones most of the time. A decent station sounds awesome on the FT-817 - such a big sound from a small box. I also was a little uncomfortable with so much money on a fell. I decided I’d rather swap back to an FT-817 and spend the excess on something else.

I run the FT-817 groups.io group too, and didn’t own one, felt a bit hypcrotical. I also had a load of accessories and the excellent PowerPort case which didn’t go with the first one, and they have really come into their own 2nd time round. I love doing 2m SSB and CW too.

Hope that helps. Mark.

1 Like

Quite enjoyed operating the 817 standing when activating Pillar - kept me out me of the insect layer and quite nice operating standing rather than kneeling/squatting…

:motorcycle: Hayabusa? :motorcycle: