Tal Y Fan NW 040 Activation 18/9/10 by 2E0FPC/P

We reached the Roman road near the Mountain and decided to park on the grass verge and take the nearby stile over the large stone wall. Easy to spot on the Ordnance Survey map we follwed the trail up towards the top-crossing a few stiles on the way . The last 50m of the climb is a grassy hill covered with rock which didnt seem as bad once you got closer to it. The weather at this point turned really nasty but the view was dark hazy and menacing towards the North West we could just make out Llandudno. I hastily unpacked the trusty VX170 hand held and MFD Antenna. As usual I hoped there was going to be some contacts once I got set up !!
I neednt have worried once I fired the rig up I was away. Managed to work a fellow SOTA operator M6PEW (Paul) who was on LD 046 and I was pleased to work M0IGG (Steve) on Walney Island. The wind was biting and the rain continued to lash down so my partner Jacqui decided to return down the Mountain on her own. I carried on for just over the hour getting into Barrow with M0MOL (Gareth) and pleased to work G6ODU (Bob) in Ormskirk.Pleased to manage G1OHH (Sue) in Lancaster as well with five watts. It was getting on a bit and I was getting cold - the logbook was soaked so I decided to make my way back down to the car. I was very pleased to work everyone as it was mid afternoon before I got on the air !! Thanks to all those that worked me at the Summit.