SW-3B Failure today

Today I attempted my third activation with a brand new SW-3B and it failed. The rig powers up, display lights, frequency selector, etc. but there is no RF input or output. The RF gain control has no effect. In the field I originally suspected a bad antenna connector when I heard no activity on the bands, but that is not the problem. I have done some basic troubleshooting but am not equipped to troubleshoot at the component level. Has anyone else experienced a sudden failure of an SW-3B?
Thanks and regards,
Mike, WB2FUV

Mike,

There is an English download manual with service notes available on the Venus website. It goes into considerable detail. Schematics are also available.

Check for correct power supply voltages first.

George/Carey
KX0R

2 Likes

Many thanks to Dale at Venus Technology, Wuxi, China… I returned the radio with a suspected DDS chip failure. They replaced the component and returned it promptly at no charge.
Stay well & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

4 Likes

That’s great to hear. Dale has been very receptive to my questions also. My SW3B has functioned in my very novice opinion very well receiving (have not TXed yet) I believe he recently halted production because of this issue although yours is the first confirmed case of the failure I’ve read about.

Also as KX0R suggested. Venus has a well written operating/troubleshooting manual available for download.

Erik
KE8OKM

1 Like