Sv/cr-xxx

In reply to ON6DSL:

Hi Luc,

thank you for your message.
I read the thread about your adventures before.
Because of the probable QRM I plan to use only cw and lower summits from east side of Crete will be targeted (some of CR046, CR044, CR043, CR048, CR047, CR031, and some of summits around Lasithi: CR033, CR077, CR040, CR035).
The rig will be the well known FT-817 with a measure of extra power.
I just experiment on a 10m vertical. It is more sensitive to noise, but the distance is about 2000km and I will QRV in the afternoon.
But there is an open question: how can I carry a 1.5m long fishing rod on a airplane nowadays? :sunglasses:

Zsolt
HG4UK

----- cut -----
Hi Zsolt,

I was in 2007 and 2008 on Crete Island. (Chersonissos and Georgioupolis)

Unfortunately I have on that moments no opportunity to make some contacts on any summit over there and that because the extremely high QRM levels S:5-7-9+ on ALL bands.(from 16070 cm) Yes ALL bands !!!
On the beach permanent S 2-4. I do not know exactly where the QRM came from on that moment.But via some SV9-hams I learned that it has something to do with the different military bases over there, and something with the war in the East regions like Afghanistan, Iraq ect … Almost on every mountain is a transmitter/recieving installation militairy, GSM, ect … ect … Be careful with the militairy stations, some are heavily protected by armed guards on the summits! TAKE NO PICTURES !!!

About the QRM: perhaps it is now done … I do not know !

Take enough fresh water and food with you during the activations.

Good luck with your activation on SV9-land.

Some pictures:

http://users.skynet.be/deswert.luc/SOTA%20SV-CR-014%20-%20015%20KRETA.htm

Read:

http://new.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=2167#16966

Luc ON6DSL
----- cut -----

In reply to HG4UK:

Hi Zsolt,

I hope that everything goes well for you in Crete. You will certainly find entertainment. Nice Island and people. If we allow, we go certainly back in 2010 and hope that we can visit again some SV9-Om’s aswell.

A small note: The QRM that I’ve heard there sounds approximately like this. The sound is about similar and I have previously say before ON ALL BANDS.

http://new.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=1408#

I have recreated a (old) fishpole for in the suitcase.(Out±3 m long)

Imgur

GL 73
Luc ON6DSL

Ps: Someone needed to carry your suitcases ? Hi…hi… :wink:

Hi All,

we are flying to Crete today.
If everything goes well my first target will be SV/CR044 on Sunday early afternoon.
I’ll try to send spot with help of SpotSMS.

Zsolt
HG4UK

In reply to HG4UK:

HPE to work you Zsolt … I will look for you.

Luc ON6DSL

Good luck Zslot,

if you manage it, it will be the first activation on Crete island.

73 es GL

Panos, SV1COX

Hi all,

the activation on Crete was very successful!
SV/CR-044, CR-038, CR-022, CR-040, CR-042, CR-046 were activated. The weather was amazing and I didn’t experience any out of the common QRM in that 7 days. Propagation was expressly wavering and flavoured with a lot of QSB.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to try out SSB 8-(
Thanks for the cw QSOs!

You can find some photos in the Photo section.

Zsolt
HG4UK

In reply to HG4UK:

Hi Zsolt,

Magnificent … you are the first SOTA activator on Crete that has succeeded.

May I ask what the problem was on the following write at your photo?

“Walking to SV/CR-028 13/05/09 Mpoumpias
Unsuccessful activation 8-(”

In any case we hope to go back to Crete in 2010 during our annual holiday, we hope to do some SOTA ref. as well.

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to HG4UK:
What is a SpotSMS?
Am I missing something?
73, Ruda

In reply to ON6DSL:

Hi Luc,

unfortunately the territory was terribly unfriendly on SV/CR-028 near by the summit. It was full of 1.5-2m stinging oversized bushes. In short: we couldn’t go over them and we had to turn back. But, the view was marvelous…

Zsolt
HG4UK

In reply to OK2QA:

Hi Ruda,

have a look at SpotGateway Log

Zsolt
HG4UK

In reply to HG4UK:

Thank you, Zsolt.
I am afraid the link does not work right now. I have tried a couple of times, but no luck. Will try again later.

73 Ruda OK2QA

Congratulations Zsolt

I hope you had a good time there.

Did you notice any problem with any summits on your search there? Something I have to take into account and delete any of them?

73, Panos, SV1COX
Greek AM