Summits to activate - G/SP mid June

Thanks for this topic. There seems to be an improvement in the weather forecast tomorrow pm, so I’ll try a quick raid on the 3 you recommend. VHF only due to time constraints :pensive:

Thinking of joining you! Sounds like a great plan.

Andy,
thanks for the tip on Kinder Scout. I have looked at some of the photos, it does look like a very large AZ. I have no expectations of setting records with a VHF activation but I do like to qualify on as many bands as possible and on at least SSB and CW. If anyone really wants an AM contact I will do that too. Or FM - but FM is a battery gobbler so I don’t use it unless there is no alternative for a qualification. I will have a triband HT with me for 6/2/70cm.
cheers

Andrew vk1da/2uh

Last time I was there (Harrington Arms, Bosley), it was OK. I agree that the HA Gawsworth, or the Queens are better. HA Bosley has the advantage of being very easy to locate and park at, and en route if driving back to Staveley nr Chesterfield.

Of course the traditional end to a SP-004 - SP-013 - SP-015 day is a meal in the Weston Balti Raj in Macclesfield…

Happy to lend you an antenna. My factory is close to these summits.

yes I expect to head back to Stavely at the end of the day.

Thanks Richard,
I will contact you later depending on what I manage to bring with me.
Andrew
vk1da

Hi Andrew,

On a trip to UK in 2014, I found Gun, The Cloud and Shining Tor straight forward summits to do. Even worked Ed, DD5LP from one. No spiders, snakes, march flies, killer wombats or bush bash involved :smile: Nice pub at Shining Tor for a return reward.

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Do you know what dates you will be activating which summits when you are in G/SP? I would like to join you for this, but I will need to plan for this as well.

Jimmy M0HGY

The Cat and Fiddle pub close to G/SP-004 is still closed, sadly. If doing them in the other order, the Robin Hood Inn close to G/SP-015 was very pleasant yesterday.

Hi Jimmy,

I believe it will be either the 18th or the 19th June. I’ll update with more definite dates in a few days. My holiday planner was busy with other things today.

I’ve looked at the complications of getting my own FT817 over there for these activations and it looks like a lot more expense than I think it’s worth. So I will probably take up a kind offer (already) received for a loaner rig and antenna. I will save the money it would have cost, for buying something at FN.

I’ll get back to you and Tom about dates and places to meet etc. And how to schedule the coffee, cake, other things! and I have to say, the Robin Hood Inn does sound like a great photo opp.

cheers

Andrew
vk1da/2uh

Thanks Glenn, useful info.
Andrew vk1da/2uh

Hi Andrew,

18th or 19th June sounds good with me, please keep us updated with this so that I can get everything prepared for these activations. Me or my dad should be able to lend you a rig or antenna for this activations.

Jimmy M0HGY

No wombats but possibly wallabies.

http://www.roaches.org.uk/wallabies.htm

1 Like

Jimmy,

here’s an update of my plans. The activation days available to me are 15th and 16th, Wed/Thu. The itinerary has us travelling on from Stavely on the 17th and away from your area.

I hope that is workable for you and Tom. Let me know…

73 Andrew VK1DA/vk2uh

Sadly I’ll be at work if it’s not a weekend. Jimmy might be available but without me he’ll have no transport. Pity.

I was afraid that would be the case…

I’ll have a car so perhaps I can help there.

Hi Andrew,

I don’t know whether or not I will be available, it depends on whether or not I have a new job by then as I will be made redundant from my current job at the end of this month. If I am available I will have no transport as my dad will be at work. If you are offering transport me for, I live in Macclesfield, so if you are happy to pick me up from Macclesfield, drive me to the start points for each summit and then drive me back to Macclesfield, I would appreciate this and I will buy you a beer after the 3 summits as well. I will let you know nearer the time whether or not I am available depending on my job situation.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Hi Jimmy,

I am sorry to hear of the possible loss of your job. But if as a result you are free on those weekdays, I would certainly be happy to collect and return you to Macclesfield. I am not sure whether it will be just the one day to activate or two. I will know closer to the date.

We had better stay in touch and confirm the situation closer to the activation date.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Should it be the case that you do this, and do the three in a day (very comfortably possible to activate all thee and return to Macc inside 5 hours), then I’ll keep an eye on your progress. It just may be possible for me to get a flyer from work and join you on The Cloud for the last summit of the day. So yeah, let’s continue the conversation and see what happens.

1 Like