Summits Knowledgebase News

The Summits Knowledgebase News produced by Mike GW0DSP and his team is now available at:

http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=News+May+2008

Discussion on the news can take place on the Knowledgebase SOTA forum at:

http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-view_forum.php?forumId=3
You need to log on to use the forums.

News bulletins from September 2007 can be accessed from the main news page at:
http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Monthly%20News

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to GW0DSP:
Sorry, Mike, I couldn’t get the IP.

Good work with the News, by the way. With luck I’ll have a go at the 6 metres challenge!

Brian G8ADD

PS It’s mortifying that something like this should happen whilst my attention was on the garden!

In reply to GW0DSP:
Now I’m confused.
I just set up an account using my old callsign G6BGO but if I try to send a message it reverts to G4OWG. This suggests to me that all logins are attached to an IP address.
‘Methinks there is something rotten in the state of Denmark’ Bill Shakespeare.

Roger G4OWG

I just did the same. I was able to send messages, and they successfully appeared as ‘G4MWS’ (the Macc club callsign, that I used for the test). That was from my home PC here Roger, so I’m not sure why it didn’t work for you or Mike. Did you try setting up your ‘new’ account with a different email address to your normal one? I did, I used my work email for the new account. Perhaps Jon has written in a facility that prevents multiple accounts from the same email account holder. A sensible process; we are not talking sinister ‘Big Brother’ stuff!

The thing I was looking at was whether there was an email verification check. It appeared not. Whether that is something we need to address I’m not sure. SOTAwatch has existed for a long time, and has remained, with one or two exceptions, free from abuse. It will be looked at and discussed.

Yes, Jon GM4ZFZ is the person that can look into individual accounts with more detail. Let’s wait until he returns from whatever he is doing this weekend and has a look at things.

Thanks, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Yes Tom I used my EPC awards manager address g4owg@eu.srars.org ?
But I’m happy to standby until Jon investigates.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi, Mike. I don’t know, I go to put some plants in the garden and a troll strikes, then I go for my evening meal and there is a flurry of posts on the subject!

This episode has exposed a weakness in our system that I hope will be corrected ASAP. There has been no need up to now to fortify the system against poison pen letters and it is a shame that some mischief maker has chosen to make a false registration and take advantage of our trust. Attempts to identify the culprit have so far come to a dead end, but it seems that the desire of the culprit to stir up trouble has been amply gratified. I assure you that nobody is being protected, and I am sure that on reflection, Mike, you must agree that nothing is more unlikely than that a member of the MT should indulge in a course of action that seems calculated to bring SOTA into disrepute.

I am sorry that you should have been annoyed in this way, Mike, and discussions are under way to decide how best to prevent a repetition: suggestions would be welcome.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GW0DSP:
Dont put too much faith in IP addresss. I`m on AOL which uses a dynamic IP address - ie I have a different one every time I log on.
Right now to get todays 115 contacts in the DB.

In reply to G1INK:
Hi Steve
Most systems use a dynamic IP address but many, perhaps AOL is not one, keep a single address so that non amateur things like Echolink :frowning: etc will work.

Roger G3OWG (sorry if this sounds simplistic)