Summits in hawaii?

i am in hawaii this week with my k3x and wish to activate mt. haleakala on maui tomorrow, oct 5 at 11am hawaiian time. where do i find a code for this mountain? i dont see a section for hawaii. any help?

In reply to WB6RAW:
Hawaii is part of W6 calling area. I am not aware that there is a SOTA association in Hawaii.

Matt/KØMOS

In reply to WB6RAW:

Unfortunately, I don’t think anybody has stepped up to the plate to start a Hawaiian Association yet.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to WB6RAW:

Unfortunately, I don’t think anybody has stepped up to the plate to
start a Hawaiian Association yet.

If the MT would be willing to sponsor me, I’d be delighted to pop over there for say, 12 months to sort it out :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Join the queue!

If I remember correctly the main summits on Big Island are accessible by road, although as there are radio telescopes on Mauna Kea (4205m) ham radio might be restricted, and you would have to be prepared to dodge the plume of fumes on Mauna Loa!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to K0MOS:

Hawaii is part of W6 calling area…

Hi Matt

Actually as Hawaii KH6 is a separate DXCC entity (i.e. a different country in amateur radio terms) it would be outside the US W6 area and a completely new association AND country for SOTA. Incidentally, the same would be true for Alaska KL (if that ever comes along) as that is also outside The Lower 48.

Anyway, please add me to the the list of staff for a sponsored KH6 association set-up sabbatical Brian.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Join the queue!

and you would have to be prepared to
dodge the plume of fumes on Mauna Loa!

A small price to pay for a year in Hawaii, Brian :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to WB6RAW:

I had a query a couple of weeks ago, via the SOTA Mapping Project’s Contact page, from another ham in Hawaii asking whether it would be possible to “put the Hawaiian islands in the SOTA list”. I suggested he get in touch with Rob Harwood G0HRT, Associations Manager for SOTA.

Following a subsequent email from the Hawaiian ham, I have every reason to believe that he and others there are seriously considering setting up the association.

Let’s wait and see, eh?..

Rob DM1CM

In reply to DM1CM:
Thanks Rob.
I will follow-up on this one.

Rob Harwood G0HRT

In reply to G0AZS:
Thanks for the clarification…

Matt/KØMOS

In reply to G0HRT:
Hi Rob. I have a 2nd home in West Maui and would be open to starting a KH6 section for SOTA. There are a number of great mountain tops over here (in fact on all of the islands) and I specifically bought my KX3 radio and BuddiPole Antenna System to explore as many SOTAs over here as possible. It would also be a great bonus to hams coming over here for family vacations. It would be a big bonus for SOTA.

Let me know what I have to do to get the ball rolling to be the HAwaiian SOTA person. I’d be delighted to do so.

You can catch my bio on QRZ the com.

73’s and Aloha for Maui

Werner WB6RAW

In reply to WB6RAW:

Werner I’d be happy to share any of my W0 docs with you to expedite your process. I’m sure Guy/N7UN would also be happy to help with the sorting out peak-prominence issues as he’s done for many associations!

Yes, I’m sure HI would get lots of visiting activators! Self included! Albeit launching a QRP signal from HI takes some skill to make NA QSO …you might get some interest in SOTA from Asia with turning on this HI Association?

Cheers, Steve wGOAT

In reply to WB6RAW:
Many thanks for your offer of assistance Werner. I will send you and the contact name put forward by Rob, DC1CM all the details on how to get started with a new SOTA Association. It would be great if you could form up a new team? Unfortunately, the new association will take more than a week to complete the summit research and verification. However, this is a very positive step forward and I am sure many of us would be pleased to see Hawaii join SOTA. It would make big pile-ups even bigger! Thanks to Steve wGOAT for your offer of assistance on the summit work too! Much appreciated. Rob G0HRT

In reply to G0HRT:
Awesome. I am heading up to Mt. Haleakala now (on MAui). It is a test with my Kx3. Will be on 14.305 on SSB today at 1630 Hawaiian time tonight. 73’s WB6RAW Werner.

In reply to WB6RAW:

Werner, please contact me via my qrz.com email address. I have the 66 SOTA-qualified peaks defined into 5 Regions for the Islands. The SOTA data is ready to go! Fortunately the peak and prominence information is available, probably due to Hawaii’s popularity as a destination hiking paradise!

73, Guy/N7UN

In reply to WG0AT:

Albeit launching a QRP signal from HI takes some skill to make NA QSO

I’ve only tried it once, but had a nice SSB chat with someone in Washington state with 10W and a wire dipole wrapped around the railing on the lanai.

I clearly heard a station in Brazil, but couldn’t break in.

All this from the west coast of the big island with a big mountain in the way.

wunder
K6WRU