Summit to Summit!

I always feel dreadfully guilty about breaking into a pile-up calling S2S. Ninety nine time out of a hundred, if the other station hears you, then you’re called straight in.

If I hear a S2S in a pile-up, I always give S2S calls prioity, simply because, if s/he is stuck in a pile-up, other chasers can’t work them.

I’m sure chasers understand this and of course, many chasers are activators too.

Any thoughts?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike!

No need to feel guilty! I have always understood that Summit-to-Summit QSOs take priority in SOTA pile-ups. It only takes a few seconds to make the contact, so it is not causing any great inconvenience to anyone else.

Thanks a lot for the nice S2S QSO yesterday!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike!

No need to feel guilty! I have always understood that
Summit-to-Summit QSOs take priority in SOTA pile-ups. It only takes a
few seconds to make the contact, so it is not causing any great
inconvenience to anyone else.

Yep, at the end of the day, I guess the activator is in charge of the pile-up.

Thanks a lot for the nice S2S QSO yesterday!

My pleasure, Walt.

BTW, did you manage to sort your rig out? You were doing a great impersonation of a Dalek ;-)))))

73 Mike
2E0YYYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

BTW, did you manage to sort your rig out? You were doing a great impersonation
of a Dalek ;-)))))

No, I never did get to the bottom of it. It was some kind of RF feedback. When I got home, I tested the rig on the X-300 and it worked perfectly at all power levels, so thankfully there is nothing wrong with the rig itself. Next time, I’ll take the X-300 out with me, rather than using the SOTA-beam.
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’m sure chasers understand this and of course, many chasers are
activators too.

Absolutely. I even think other chasers should be considerate of the S2S station. S2S means the other station

• is either working QRP or has limited battery power
  • has a less efficient antenna setup
  • is limited in time
  • has to cope with all the difficulties of /p-operation (bad weather,…).

All chasers should honor the activators’ efforts by giving them the chance of a preferential S2S QSO.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to DB7MM:

Absolutely. I even think other chasers should be considerate of the
S2S station. S2S means the other station

• is either working QRP or has limited battery power
  • has a less efficient antenna setup
  • is limited in time
  • has to cope with all the difficulties of /p-operation (bad
    weather,…).

All chasers should honor the activators’ efforts by giving them the
chance of a preferential S2S QSO.

Thanks Michael and also for our QSO from a cold and windy G/SP-004 on Saturday.

Best 73
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to DB7MM:

Indeed, Michael, all serious chasers step back for an S2S, and all activators prize a S2S above all other contacts. A S2S is special.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:

Hi Walt

I should have recorded that for you so you could have heard that, It sounded like Voltage issues to me with the 89 Range of rigs

Was about to go out on Bredon and Activate HF, then I stock my head outdoors and decided against that :slight_smile:

Dan
M0MST

From G8ADD:

"Indeed, Michael, all serious chasers step back for an S2S, and all activators prize a S2S above all other contacts. A S2S is special.

Brian G8ADD"

A S2S IS special… when I’m up some daft summit with the wind and snow all around me, I hear an S2S call and think…

“Yes, there’s someone else out there today who’s as crazy as me”

I never feel guilty about S2S priority in either direction… Good times :slight_smile:

Rob G7LAS

In reply to G7LAS:

Lol! I’d never thought of the shared misery aspect!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Just as a thought, are activators of SOTA summits happy to receive S2S calls from activators on HuMPS?? Its still a summit, but a different award program of course. The times I have called, I have used ‘Hump to summit’ to try and differentiate, but it in the heat of a pile up it would probably still be taken as Summit to Summit.

Jonathan
2E0CTW

In reply to 2E0CTW:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Just as a thought, are activators of SOTA summits happy to receive S2S
calls from activators on HuMPS??

Hi Jonathan,

I should imagine that 99.99% of HuMP activators are SOTA activators too. Personally, I welcome any kind of S2S contact, even if it’s a molehill.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0CTW:

To me it doesn’t matter if it is a SOTA summit, a HuMP, a Wainwright or any future spin-off, you don’t stick with this game if the hills aren’t in your blood, and they are all summits even if they aren’t Summits, we lovers of the high places stick together!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0CTW:

Personally, I’m happy for someone to call in to my activations saying “summit to summit” whether they are on a SOTA, HEMS or WOTA. I don’t care what they’re on as long as it’s part of someone’s award programme. That’s because I don’t see HEMS or WOTA as being in competition with SOTA but complimentary schemes.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

To me it doesn’t matter if it is a SOTA summit, a HuMP, a Wainwright
or any future spin-off, you don’t stick with this game if the hills
aren’t in your blood, and they are all summits even if they aren’t
Summits, we lovers of the high places stick together!

Found myself looking longingly at a grassy bank by a local slip road this afternoon… and that less than one week after activating some GM/SS summits! :frowning:

The shack holds little interest for me anymore…

Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M0MST:
I’m planning on doing Bredon HF tomorrow (Tuesday)
Wx permitting.

In reply to G4OIG:

For me, working HF DX is a part of SOTA I really enjoy, Gerald. Sitting up on a summit at nearly a couple of thousand feet ASL, finding a clear frequecy, then watching the S meter on my rig barely move, this makes all the effort worth while.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to MM0FMF:

Personally, I’m happy for someone to call in to my activations saying
“summit to summit” whether they are on a SOTA, HEMS or WOTA.

Thanks for your replies. I had a felling that would be the general concensus, but thought I would check. I feel the same, I’m happy to accept any summit type contacts as an S2S.

Jonathan
2E0CTW

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Sitting up on a summit at nearly a couple of thousand feet ASL…makes all the effort worth while.

Precisely Mike. SOTA, HuMPS, WOTA, whatever, we are all smitten by the same bug. I have found it extends to my home operation and when it is a warm sunny day and I have time available, I am to be found on the back lawn with the SOTApole up operating, even to the extent of running off battery packs. I now rarely sit in the shack for more than a few minutes at a time… hence why the 2m FM rig hasn’t been on for months!

On the subject of S2S, I had my first S2H when I was up in Scotland - from Wisp Hill GM/SS-119 to Robert G0PEB/P on Tennyson Down G/HSE-017 on the Isle of Wight. Big smiles all round! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

On the subject of S2S, I had my first S2H when I was up in Scotland -
from Wisp Hill GM/SS-119 to Robert G0PEB/P on Tennyson Down G/HSE-017
on the Isle of Wight. Big smiles all round! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Hi Gerald

Firstly you sum up SOTA/HEMA/WOTA perfectly, it is all about being on a hill with a radio!

Plus well done on the S2H with Robert, I do mention it in my forthcoming report for the summitsbase news. IO85MG to IO90FP! A total distance of 522 Km or 324 Miles! A superb effort on 2m SSB

73 for now

Matt G8XYJ