String insulators in link dipoles?

Thanks for this interesting info.

The crimp-type PL259 plugs look good, but the crimp tool and shipping charges are prohibitively expensive.

Walt

1 Like

Ah I bought the plugs along with coax, so it was no so bad for me.
I already have my own crimp tools to suit these (and most RF) connectors so that wasn’t a factor for me, but good point. I was in the same boat for the crimp tool for the Anderson powerpoles.

Just spotted your links on your Dp.
Very good idea simple,s and easy to operate.

Likes that I does Neat and simples

Karl

Looks good.

I normally would avoid PL259s for 2 reasons, they weigh more than BNCs and it is harder to effectively connect them. Crimping looks to remove one the disadvantages.

There’s no waterproofing/drip loop on your coax mounting plate. i.e. the open end of the coax points up to the sky and allows easy water ingress. I’d redress it so it bends through 180degs and a blob of hot melt glue will keep the water out as the “expertly!” drawn pictures show.

I hate PL-259s! I wish everything was N! Very happy to see the VHF port on my 897 is N.
Never been a fan of BNC either, and overall would prefer the screw fit of PL-259 over the bayonet mount. Seen quite a few wobbling traces at L Band (I know we are FAR from L Band) to have faith in them.

Yeah I decided to go for the simpler straight down design. I have a bottle of liquid insulation tape from SOTAbeams to seal it up. (Must remember to do that tonight!)

You won’t need to.
It never rains in Wales or the Welsh Borders.

:sunny: TNC :sunny:

this is very true :smile:

last night:

Tell Yaesu etc :smile:

For ultimate lightness (and if your a fisherman) how about fishing braid. Made from dyneema. Extremely strong extremely lightweight and can get it in every colour from yellow to green lol.

1 Like

If using a ‘multi-strand’ braid type cord, why not give it a dose of water-proofer before using it. The stuff I’ve got for the tent makes water drop off like the proverbial water off a ducks back.

If you decide to carry that seat you are shown sitting on on to the summit Steve that will weigh more than your link dipole antenna!

73 Phil

PS Edit: Good to work you just now Steve (G1YBB) on 20m SSB on G/WB-013 Garway Hill, you were a most respectable back scatter signal. Seems like your attention to detail in building and preparation has paid off! Well done.

Links as used on my EFHW and dipoles (0.25 mm2 RADOX 125, 2 mm banana plugs).

PS: I’m not a fisherman …

2 Likes

those look good. I like the use of the swivels