Starting from the wrong summit to the good one: I/LZ-063 Monte Guadagnolo

Today I was free only in the morning but I still wanted to be able to do a Sota activation around Rome and so I decide to go alone on Monte Guadagnolo I / LZ-063 (1218 m a.s.l.) the highest mountain of the Prenestini Mountains in the Lazio Sub-Apennines. From my home in the center of Rome it is about an hour’s drive and then I leave by chance around 8.30 and head towards Monte Prenestini. I take the highway then go out and start taking a road that climbs towards the mountains.

Arrived on the ridge of Monte prenestini I take a very scenic road and find myself in front of the town of Capranica Prenestina, where I see a fairly high mountain, above the town with a cross above. In my head I start to think “here is Monte Guadagnolo”. After Parking, I walk about 35 minutes and arrive at the top of the mountain, beautiful place, excellent view and space to make radio. I mount my fishing rod, wire antenna, balun, AT-100, Ft-817 and do some tests. I take my smartphone, launch the SOTA Spotter app … and before launching the first spot … I realize that Monte Guadagnolo is 10 km away … north … I’m on the wrong mountain !!

A moment of bewilderment and then realizing that I have the wrong summit, we are in Capranica and my destination is about 10 km away … so I don’t panic, I take everything apart, I don’t even do a QSO and I go down to the car, and I take the right path. After 20 minutes here is the right mountain, Mount Guadagnolo with on peak, a huge religious monument and a series of radio and TV transmission systems. I still manage to find a space on the top to install my station and start qso in cw. The first “wrong” summit was much better than this one… nice view, no radio-tv must, but this is the correct “Monte Guadagnolo” and so i have to activate this. It’s also strange… i always take a look at maps before going on mountain… i also bring “real maps”… not only google maps… but this time… i miss the summit :smile:

After doing 12 qso unfortunately my time is up and I have to go back to Rome. With the “double summit setup” I lost time and therefore my activation was very short but very pleasant. The crisp air of the mountains is always a pleasure and being able to “escape” from the city even just one morning to do Sota is always a great idea !!

This is the “wrong” summit… everything was ready to Sota…

This is the right Summit - Monte Guadagnolo

My antenna… simple random wire with a fishing rod

11 Likes

What a stunning moment.

2 Likes

I did the same thing here in the UK. No phone signal when I got to ‘starting point’ - I should have asked some passers by but assumed that folk were going to Pendle Hill. As I was on limited time so no time to go up the correct summit but I did have some nice non-SOTA QSOs on the wrong hill.

I had recently changed my phone and not updated my offline maps. Lesson learnt.
However, it is a good reason to revisit the region sometime. Your honesty does you credit :wink:

Regards, Mark. M0NOM

3 Likes

I had recently changed my phone and not updated my offline maps. Lesson learnt.
However, it is a good reason to revisit the region sometime. Your honesty does you credit :wink:

yes… lesson learnt also for me, study study always maps before Sota & trekking. But also… i find a very nice new summit the insert in the I-LZ database… but is there a rule on the minimum distance between Sota summits?

73 And

1 Like