St Kilda Islands GM/SI-122 (Soay) and GM/SI-118 (Boreray)

Congratulations on a very rare and exciting activation. Great report too.
73 de OE6FEG/M0FEU
Matt

2 Likes

Fabulous pictures and account. Thank you so much for letting us share in your adventure. I was thrilled to see the distant outlines of the islands when on the Outer Hebrides - but you got somewhat closer!!! Not an expedition I would have wished to have been on but marvellous to hear an account of it. 73 Viki

2 Likes

Thanks Matt,

yes, very rare (first and only activation, so far) and very exciting, terrifying might be a better adjective!

Fantastic Brocken Spectre seen on the summit of Soay.

9 Likes

Thanks Viki,

St Kilda is an enchanting place to visit, but a long way, and expense for a single point!!!

1 Like

Now we were all pleased for you (and impressed) but now you post a spectacular Brokenspectre picture from the activation… you’ll be burning up all the goodwill now! :rofl:

I’ve got £90 for a room, £45 for fuel there and back and money for something to eat. All for 4 points that have not yet been earned. Hopefully propagation OK after aurora but after rain, crossing the river/burn could be “fun”.

2 Likes

I have just spotted this post regarding the recent St Kilda trip in the RHB Facebook Group.

Below are photos on this post showing Colwyn @MM0YCJ’s antenna on Mullach an Eilein GM/SI-118.

I have noticed that in the comments of this post mentions about a trip to bag the 2 sea stacks (Stac an Armin GM/SI-204 and Stac Lee GM/SI-214) around mid October. I wonder if any SOTA activators would be interested in this trip to activate the 2 sea stacks. To my best knowledge, Colwyn MM0YCJ, Adrian @MM0DHY, Fraser @MM0EFI and Gerald @MW0WML have been interested in activating these 2 sea stacks.

Jimmy M0HGY

3 Likes

Not this year for me - possibly Oct 2024. I think Colwyn is on the “interested” list for RHSoc trip this year.

The success rate for landing on the stacks has been very poor in recent years. Due to weather and sea swell states.

3 Likes

Thanks Jimmy,

folk had shared some of these photos with me but good to have incontrovertible evidence of the successful activation, if any were needed!

MM0YCJ

3 Likes

I have noticed that some RHB Baggers have recently successfully climbed up Stac Lee GM/SI-214 and they tried to climb Stac an Armin GM/SI-204, but were unsuccessful with this. The Relative Hills Of Britain | Going to the St Kilda stacs in December is a very bad idea unless you can lead climb as well as Dave McGimpsey and Dan Moss and you don't mind climbin... | Facebook. I think this link will only work for those who are on Facebook so apologies to anyone who is not on Facebook.

Jimmy M0HGY

3 Likes

Yes that came up on my Facebook page as well Jimmy. My first thought was "What, in December? ! ! ! ! ". Maybe they have a winter bonus scheme as well. :joy:

1 Like