SS-196 Calkin Rig 2m Report 20/07/2007

In reply to G1ZJQ:

Excellent report Derek and well done on a second GM/SS first activation. Seems that I’ll have to plan a trip up this summer before you bag the remainder! Also well done on achieving the 2m only activation - IMHO a much more of a challenge than one encompassing HF.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

IMHO a much more of a challenge than one encompassing HF.

You should try HF right now, sunspot minimum and middle of Summer, it’s no cakewalk. Congratulations to Derek for a successful all 2m activation, you’re having more luck getting QSOs on 2m than I do in GM.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G1ZJQ:

Thanks for a good report Derek and thanks for your patience for the difficult contact.

Well done on a superb job.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to MM0FMF:

IMHO a much more of a challenge than one encompassing HF.

You should try HF right now, sunspot minimum and middle of Summer,

If you take the 4 QSO parameter for qualifying a summit Andy rather than a parameter based on working Chasers, I remain of the opinion that qualifying some of the more shielded summits in SOTA-unpopulated areas is considerably more difficult on VHF than on HF… I’ve never experienced a total RF wipe-out on HF and at least a couple of bands should be available for use even though the popular ones may be banjaxed (i.e. 5MHz and 7MHz).

73, Gerald

In reply to G1ZJQ:

Fine on the proposed activations Derek and the fact that the unactivated SS hills are at some distance. Well, they are even further from me!

With regards to distances travelled, yes I agree about the conscience issue, but I have no option - a typical day in GW amounts to 350 miles. I would consider kipping in the car overnight to get 8 or 9 summits in, but the weather has put me off doing that. However, I have a run of 8 programmed in GW, but I am currently playing with the idea of upping it to a 10 summit two day trip. Mad!

73, Gerald

P.S. I’m also tempted to camp on Birks Fell on the night of 31st August to try to qualify it first, Hi! No doubt someone else has this in mind as well…

P.P.S. Jealous about Simonside… it’s a cracking spot.