Spotting HuMPs

Just to let you all know that you can spot HuMPs on http://www.summitswatch.org.uk/sb/summitWatch.php - then this site can be kept for the genuine SOTA spots.

Jimmy 2(O)0EYP

In reply to 2E0EYP:

Hi Jimmy,

I think the main problem is caused when summit / hump references are mis-heard & incorrectly spotted as SOTA rather than HOTA, as happened earlier. Band conditions / QRM can sometimes make it difficult for stations to pull out the full reference so if there is any doubt it is always best to confirm the reference with the activator rather than relying on a spot which may not be correct, although may have been posted in good faith.

As well as Humps, the Summitswatch site also allows the spotting of Wainwright activations.

Thanks & 73,

Mark GO0VOF

Hi Mark,

I know Summitswatch allows spotting for SOTA and WOTA activations as well as HOTA activations. However there is an excellent website for spotting Wainwrights - http://www.wota.org.uk/

I do understand that QSB and QRM can make it difficult for stations to hear the references correctly.

Jimmy 2(O)0EYP

In reply to G0VOF:

That was my problem, I did not hear GM/HSI-049 and posted GM/SI-049 and then on my spread sheet the WAB was different so quieried it with Mike and then deleted the spot when he said it was a hump

73 Graham G4JZF

Hi Graham,

All understood.

Jimmy 2(O)0EYP

Hump alerts are not normally seen on sota and only appear when there is a genuine mistake my alert and also probably Mark’s was not for the hump but to alert the others we all heard calling in thinking it was a sota activation.
I removed mine the minute the cryptic remark appeared regarding the spotting.
I think you will probably find that there have been claims for the points for that activation like the farcical contacts we now hear where chasers take other chasers reports and some say tnx for the report which was not even for them.
To me sota now seems to be coming a contest which was never intended and I think that if the report to both parties is not heard correctly then the contact should be void. Don.

In reply to G0RQL:

and I think that if the report to both parties is not heard correctly
then the contact should be void.

Could not agree more Don. I have seem several instances of people seeking to correct/change on-air exchanges using the internet. If the contact was not correctly completed on the air, it’s not a contact.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

The database does not require a report so it seems that all you need for a valid SOTA contact is an exchange of callsigns. Reports are traditional and we work hard to get them right, but then they only exist in our personal logs, not the database. I have heard people getting the activator call wrong where it was a multi-operator activation, and the mistake not being picked up at the time due to conditions or rampant callers! Perhaps we should think of making that little star essential before a contact scores points!

Brian G8ADD

An exchange of call sign constitutes a good contact??well not realy an exchange? I can read the activator on the sota watch so only the activator has to get it right. Don.

In reply to G8ADD:

Reports are traditional and we work hard to get them right.

Reports are also subjective we’ve all been down the “your 5&9 but could you repeat your call sign slowly about twenty times as I’m having difficulties getting it” street.

Perhaps we should think of making that little star essential before a contact scores points!

On the face of it yes but

a) some people are a bit slow in updating the database, personally I do it as soon as I return home.

and

b) a lot of my qso’s have been with stations that don’t involve themselves wholly with SOTA. “I don’t do SOTA but I always try and work a SOTA station if I hear one calling so they can claim the hill.”

Peter G1FOA

In reply to G1FOA:

Also, simple logging errors such as recording a ‘0’ instead of a ‘0’ - oops sorry, I meant ‘o’ mean that a valid contact with correct exchange will not achieve a *. Either the activat0r, the chaser 0r b0th can make a simple mistake
Regards
Dave
MoTUB
00ps M0TUB

In reply to M0TUB:
And the * keeps being turned off (like I would if Brian’s suggestion was adopted) to keep the database running :wink:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

And the * keeps being turned off

This is news to me as the database manager.

[checks chaser log display…]

Nope, still seems to be working. Perhaps you can provide a little more info?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Just stirring Andy :slight_smile: But it has been turned off whilst you’ve been manager- admittedly not in recent times.

Roger G4OWG

ps Why no * when you display full chaser log :slight_smile: