Spots without QRG's - Why?

What is the point in spotting anyone without the QRG ??

All the spots of Contest Station on the DXCluster include the operating frequency !!

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

I deleted the spot for the simple reason I was aware there were restrictions in place on the use of spotting systems like the DX cluster/ON4KST/SOTAwatch. I wasn’t sure of the limits and when I saw the generic spot which basically said “Tom is on from the cloud” now gave the frequency I acted. Given that I didn’t want Tom to be disqualified I could either go and read the rules to see if this was OK whilst a potential spot existed breaking the rules which may have disqualifed Tom. Or I could delete it straight away and then check to see if it was valid or not to spot him.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I didn’t know so I decided no spot was better than a possibly infringing spot and I deleted it and immediately downloaded the rules. The clarity of the rules is such that I still can’t figure out if your spot was OK or not!

Over-zealous? I might have been. If it was a valid spot then I apologise for deleting it Stewart and the second one with the question in it.

Andy
MM0FMF

Andy,

As far as I have seen the rules only prohibit the station themselves placing a spot giving their operating frequency (and even that may not apply under some circumstances).

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

I think you are probably correct Stewart, but that is after a few minutes digesting the rules. At the time, I wasn’t sure. As I said, damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I assumed this post was about my spot & typed a lengthy & detailed reply to Stewart that vanished into the ether when I hit “Post”. The message I saw said “I am sorry, this topic doesn’t seem to exist” if that’s any help Andy.

From previous discussions here it was the general consensus that a spot here would not infringe any rules of the RSGB UKAC’s as long as no QRG was given. In any case, it is the contest station themselves who are responsible for complying with the rules & they cannot be held responsible for the unsolicited actions of others.

There is now a new section in the UKAC’s for “Assisted” stations, where it is permissible to use the DX Cluster, or similar “Spotting” facilities, among which I think we could class “Sotawatch”.

This will be fine if you are at home in your shack with several computers, multiple transceivers, several towers with a multitude of stacked & bayed Yagi’s, but I still don’t think you are allowed to use your 50kW high power permit. Hi!

I am not sure how the new “Assisted” category will help a valid SOTA contest station, but I personally will not spot their QRG. I will spot that they are active on a particular band or mode, but that would be all.

In any case I could not spot Tom’s QRG tonight as he called me on my QRG, before continuing with a good bit of S&P contesting.

I don’t usually enter the 144MHz contest as it is too near the time of the month I am most busy at work, but I gave a few points away tonight just using my short vertical. From what I heard, conditions seemed up a little & I heard GM & IO80 with no difficulty despite the over long length of Westflex W103 required between the radio & the antenna.

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

As far as I am aware, a spot of a contest station, with frequency/mode, is OK, providing that:

(a) the contest station does not make the spot
(b) the contest station does not solicit the spot
© no-one from the same team in the Club Championships makes the spot

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G0VOF:

I assumed this post was about my spot & typed a lengthy &
detailed reply to Stewart that vanished into the ether when I hit
“Post”. The message I saw said “I am sorry, this topic
doesn’t seem to exist” if that’s any help Andy.

Sorry: That was my Fault !

When I first posted the start of this thread I got the title a little wrong so I removed it and reposted with the correct Title.

At least we now seem to know where we stand with the rules.

Stewart G0LGS